lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default precedent LED light kit wiring problems

I am looking at an aftermarket precedent LED light kit.

I want to install the led light bar, inplace of my existing halogen light bar.

This is an 06 cart, so has factory wire harness. Besides installing the new led headlites and tail lites, i want to add a turn signal/horn/brake lite upgrade kit.

The upgrade kit parts have the nylon connectors that you usually plug and play.

However this headlite kit, does not have the nylon connector that you can plug the turn signals into.

So i was thinking of cutting off the nylon connector on the turn signal, try to ring out the wires, and splice them into the all the wires.

In the harness to the headlite, there is a yellow wire ( horn), 3 red wires ( to each amber lite and one to the lite bar, and 1 black wire. Inside this harness, all 3 red wires are spliced together. So if i hook up 12 volts positive to any of the 3 red wires, both the headlite bar and both amber lites will lit up.
I don't understand why the 3 reds are spliced together.
Further more, i cut the 3 red wires, and added individual extension wires. Then i hooked the 12 volt negative to the black wire, and touch each lite extension wire, i can get the 3 lites to lite.
When i hook the black wire in the turn signal, to the 12volt negative, and touch a 12 volt positive to the green turn signal wire, it blows the driver side amber led lites.

Cab someone explain to me the led wiring? Why are the 3 red wires tied together, and how do the work individually, if they are tied together?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: precedent LED light kit wiring problems

What kind of 12v source are You using, a 48v->12v converter?

The turn signal assemblies that mount on the steering column don't have any negative wires.

The black wire is the pulsating +12v coming from the flasher.

Also, unlike the regular diodes used for flyback across a solenoid coil, LEDs typically have less than 5v reverse breakdown voltage, which means they are easily damaged if you reverse the polarity.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sergio, first, I am not using a converter, cart has 4 batteries, so i am only using 1 battery, the 12 volt battery with the main pack negative on it.

Are you saying that just the precedent turn signals dont have a negative? I ask, because i have seen wiring diagrams that do have a negative wire going to the turn signals. ( I cannot say the precedent turn signals do, but i have definatly seen some diagrams that do.

This precedent turn signal, is suppose to be a plug and play, and it is, but the cart does not have the set up that will accept a plug and play. So i have to figure out how to splice the turn signal wires into the existing harness. That is just 1 issue i need help with.

Another issue, is why would the aftermarket led lite bar jumper harness, have all 3 red wires tied together? ( 1 to main led lites and 1 each to each amber lite?
I opened 2 different kits and both are wired the same way, as far as the 3 red wires. Wired this way, i do not see how any of the 3 lites can work without feeding all 3?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a typical turn signal assembly, no negatives:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...nal_wiring.jpg
It does not make sense for the headlight and the marker/turn signal lights to have the positives tied together, specially if they give you 3 separate positive wires externally.

Internally, it is very possible that the headlight itself is composed of many LED arrays that are tied together, but not with the marker lights.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car