lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rear leaf spring replacement

I need to replace the rear springs and shocks on my 2012 ezgo txt 2+2.
Has the factory rear seat and 3 leaf springs that are wore out.
I rarely use back seat with passengers but would like to have nice ride weather two or four passengers in cart. Cart is only used a few weeks a year when camping if that helps.
Also want to buy from a site sponsor here.
Recommendations?
Thanks😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear leaf spring replacement

first off....if you look at the top of EVERY page, there are links to the different sections (User CP, Golf Cart Pics, SITE SPONSORS, etc. …) you can find a list of our sponsors there, and pick one that sells what you want, you really can't lose!

as far as your springs go, and how you say you use your cart, I would recommend regular standard rear springs, NOT heavy duty ones.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Nuke, that’s what I was leaning to.
For little back seat use,heavy duty or dual action spring would give too harsh a ride for my use.
Found spring kits from sponsor golf cart king
Just wanted feedback before placing order.😊
Old 06-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
bighanded
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I purchased a pair of "standard", not HD from King just last month...arrived promptly, good a price as anyone else.
springs were way better than the originals on my 2002 TXT.. i can feel the ride is fresher and firmer, but not really a bad ride...just feels like a newer cart.
most days its just the wife and I on our property...but on weekends there's likely a couple 6-9 year old grandkids buckled up in the backseat...swap out was easy...only worry I had was my cart was original so a bent bolt, some worn bushings..but the bolts came out with little issue and I was back up and running within a couple hours...and now that i know what I'm doing it'd go even quicker..in fact the second side was down and up in about a third the time as the first side, but that was in large part to having to be careful with the bent bolt and patient with some rust spray to give things time to break loose.
bighanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I have bought quite a few different things from Golf Cart Kings....never had a single issue.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Late last year I purchased replacement HD springs for the previous HD rear springs that had seen about 15 years of use. GCK shipped promptly and the springs are working great. A testimonial for GCK. I need the HD springs but most people would not like them on their cart. I agree with others that you want standard springs for your use.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good info.
My fear was getting dual action heavy duty and having harsh ride.
Sounds like stock replacement is way to go.😊
Old 06-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 97 TXT and I put the dual action springs, they ride like normal springs with 1 or 2 persons on the cart (which for me is 98% of the time), the dual action only comes into play when there is weight on the back. My $.02!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So Iended up replacing rear springs with duel action springs from golf cart parts,site sponsor.
Excellent service and delivery.

One word ofcaution for those doing rear leaf spring replacement.

Knowing it would be easier to install new fasteners,hardware, bought new U bolts as they were rusted and just cut them off with cutoff wheel along with front and rear mounting bolts. Had 3/8” by 3 1/2” long bolts around.

However although rear mount bolts are just normal off the shelve 3/8 X3 1/2” bolts that slide into new supplied metal bushing sleeves.
Front bolts are not. Front bolts are 1/2” that do not go thru supplied bushing sleeves, bolt is used instead of supplied metal bushing sleeve.
Either buy new bolts if you suspect they might not be able to get reused or as I did buy 4” bolts, cut end of bolt threads off to end up with 3+1/2” total length to
have non threaded sleeved part of bolt contact inside of bushing.

Aside from that hit up. Install was a breeze and ride is soooo much better😊
Hope that tip helps others.👍
Old 07-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
bigsby
Not Yet Wild

Cobra, what was your opinion of the ride with no rear passengers? More stiff than before, or just fine?
bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO