lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery and Cable Temps

I did some searching on the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for. So...I just changed my battery cables to a new set of 4g cables (36v) while I'm waiting on my new speed control package and 2g wires to come in from ScottyB. Anyway, I had noticed that the main + cable running from the battery pack to the controller was VERY hot after running the cart for about 15 minutes. My neighborhood is very hilly, I would guess most of them are 15-30% grade, so pretty steep. Temp measured at the main + stud going to the controller was 175 deg. Cable temp was 210 deg. The other battery studs were 93-95 degrees.

Anyway, these temps seem to be really hot to me. Anyone have any ideas?
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery and Cable Temps

Yep, any notable elevated temp is energy lost, not being used to turn your wheels. Change the main negative and positive cables too.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Was that an old cable or one of the new 4ga cables you made? What kind of cable did you use?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yep, any notable elevated temp is energy lost, not being used to turn your wheels. Change the main negative and positive cables too.
Thanks, I figured as much, but again, this temporary until I receive my new controller and 2g cable set. I just don't want to burn anything up in the meanwhile. Do you have any idea what these temp rang these should be in?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Was that an old cable or one of the new 4ga cables you made? What kind of cable did you use?
Old cable between the batteries and the controller.

I didn't make the cables, they are factory made. I purchased them at the local golf cart dealer.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

By chance did you check to be sure the connections are clean and tight on that cable. With only one cable getting that hot, bad connection is possible.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
Thanks, I figured as much, but again, this temporary until I receive my new controller and 2g cable set. I just don't want to burn anything up in the meanwhile. Do you have any idea what these temp rang these should be in?
I use a rise of 10°F above air temperature as the limit for high current cables.

If the rise is more than that, thicker cables are needed, but you already know that and are asking how hot can the cables that need replacing get without starting a fire or damaging what they are connected to.

Personally, I would park the cart if the temperature rise of the cables was over 50°F above air temperature.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I went ahead and changed the cables to 4g to match the new battery cables and that resolved the problem. Temps are way down and in the range JohnnyB suggested.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Great question and answer. When folks ask me where did i go to school to learn golf carts, My answer will always be Buggies gone Wild.
so a temp gauge can provide a health check for a old cable, in the past if they look good and made no cracking sound when you bent them, they were good. I had some cables that have gotten very hot while under discharge from our Lester discharge unit. The hot ones we replaced, the warm ones...well sometimes not. However we now have a standard @ 10 above ambient temp during discharge, if the cable is above that standard, than that cable is headed to the scrap yard. A "Good Run Setting" standard is better than an opinion.

Thank you JohnnieB
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Great question and answer. When folks ask me where did i go to school to learn golf carts, My answer will always be Buggies gone Wild.
so a temp gauge can provide a health check for a old cable, in the past if they look good and made no cracking sound when you bent them, they were good. I had some cables that have gotten very hot while under discharge from our Lester discharge unit. The hot ones we replaced, the warm ones...well sometimes not. However we now have a standard @ 10 above ambient temp during discharge, if the cable is above that standard, than that cable is headed to the scrap yard. A "Good Run Setting" standard is better than an opinion.

Thank you JohnnieB
The 10°F rise is only my opinion and it is for cables after the cart has been driven hard (steep hills, jackrabbit starts, heavy loads, etc.) with intermittent draws of 250A or more, rather than the steady 56A or 75A draw of a load tester.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO