lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Just Got An 04 Precedent MINT, But.....

I just picked up an absolutely MINT 2004 48V Precedent from an estate sale...got it for next to nothing BUT the cart's batteries have not been maintained other than water. The fellow who owned it was elderly and used it about twice a month to drive around his property to pick up twigs, etc. He only charged it periodically. Needless to say it didn't get much use at all, which in my opinion isn't a good thing. The batteries are dated 1/2006 so I'm pretty much assuming they're toast. The cart takes a charge but doesn't last very long at all and hills just kill it. After I took it for a quick run, the batteries were bubbling and you could smell it outgassing (strong). Cables were hot to the touch. All lugs are very clean & tight with no corrosion. This is a sign of batteries that are shot, right? Remember, the previous owner NEVER charged these batteries except for maybe once every other month or so. Will running this cart on old batteries ruin anything else? I plan on getting a new set by the end of Sept. Thanks for any input!
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
navara20030
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Just Got An 04 Precedent MINT, But.....

Unfortunately, new batteries required!! Good luck with your new cart, the Precedent is a great and reliable cart
navara20030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Doc
Gone Wild

I don't have my DM with me where the cart is. The boiling batteries are really what concerned me the most though. Generally speaking , what is that a sign of? I was trying to get the cart up a rather long hill, maybe 600 feet long, and that's when it slowed to a crawl, nearly stopped, but I got to the top. After that, the batteries were boiling.
Doc
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't have my DM with me where the cart is. The boiling batteries are really what concerned me the most though. Generally speaking , what is that a sign of? I was trying to get the cart up a rather long hill, maybe 600 feet long, and that's when it slowed to a crawl, nearly stopped, but I got to the top. After that, the batteries were boiling.
Doc
its a sign the batteries are done and time to be retired.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Doc
Gone Wild

Thanks guys-yea, you've just confirmed my fears. I actually got this cart for 300.00 so I'm not hurting The cart is in incredible condition..I'll be sure & post pix! Thanks again for the advice!
Doc
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

since you got such a deal you might want to think about going back to the 8 volt battery setup you,ll be much happier in the end..........................
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Doc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
since you got such a deal you might want to think about going back to the 8 volt battery setup you,ll be much happier in the end..........................
Is that very involved to do?
Doc
Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Is that very involved to do?
Doc
Unless you do the self modification which is in the sticky's, you will spend around $1,100 for new batteries and the new bucket kit. Thats what it would have cost me and for my cart usage it didn't make sense to me to do the conversion but it may for you.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Doc
Gone Wild

Is it true that you can expect only 3 years or so from the 4-12V's???!? That seems crazy, being that I'm fanatical about maintenance.
Doc
Old 09-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Is it true that you can expect only 3 years or so from the 4-12V's???!? That seems crazy, being that I'm fanatical about maintenance.
Doc
yeah thats the average 3 to 4 years, some people get a few more years but if you buy good 8 volt batteries and you take good care of them theres no reason you can,t get 8 or 10 years out of them.................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car