lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Question about my batteries

Hi all, I have a set of batteries that I bought new around the beggining of 2011. It was set of 6, 6 volt trojans. These are in a EZGO cart. I used them for about a year, i only used them a few times but kept them fully charged. I have been doing some work on the cart that was not expected to last nearly as long as I thought. I am just now getting the cart back together. So it has sat for a while. The batteries meter at 5.3 volts since sitting. What kind on damage have I done to my batteries? should I expect the normal 5 year life? or less or more since sitting. Hope this makes sense, let me know if more info is needed to help answer my questions. Thanks.
cinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

Default Re: Question about my batteries

Not good. Does your charger come on when you plug it in ?
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Its hard to say, but I think they will have a shorter life. Get them charging and see if they can reach a full charge.

When I bought my cart the batteries where old and not well cared for. I charged them and got them back to life. They would take a full charge and seemed to work but I also noticed my range was not what it should be, but for what I use the cart for its almost workable.

So the short answer is probably yes but depending on what you use the cart for they may not be a total lost cause.
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGO-MY-WALLET2 View Post
Not good. Does your charger come on when you plug it in ?
I have not connected the batteries yet, I will have them installed this weekend.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You need to hook up the cables and charge ASAP. Every day hurts them more.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
I have not connected the batteries yet, I will have them installed this weekend.
before you try to use the carts charger.....if you have an automotive battery charger, connect them up in pairs (12v) and use the automotive charger to charge them up a bit.....THEN charge them up with the carts charger.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
before you try to use the carts charger.....if you have an automotive battery charger, connect them up in pairs (12v) and use the automotive charger to charge them up a bit.....THEN charge them up with the carts charger.
I will start with that and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I hooked up the batteries and had a reading of 33.1 volts. I could not get my 12 volt charger to work, its old. So I hooked up my power wise and it started to charge. I plugged it in last night arounf 7PM and was getting a reading of 40.1 with charger hooked up. This morning at 5:30AM the charger was still going and I had a reading of 41.6 with charger hooked up. The batteries were bubbling pretty good and the amp meter read about 14. How long should I keep plugged in? Will it ever shut off? I am worried because I left for work and forgot to unplug, should I go home and unplug or let it go. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Well I hooked up the batteries and had a reading of 33.1 volts. I could not get my 12 volt charger to work, its old. So I hooked up my power wise and it started to charge. I plugged it in last night arounf 7PM and was getting a reading of 40.1 with charger hooked up. This morning at 5:30AM the charger was still going and I had a reading of 41.6 with charger hooked up. The batteries were bubbling pretty good and the amp meter read about 14. How long should I keep plugged in? Will it ever shut off? I am worried because I left for work and forgot to unplug, should I go home and unplug or let it go. Thanks.
your charger will continue to charge until it get to its shut off voltage, which for a 36v cart is at or about 46v. if the batteries won't or don't get there, it will continue to charge. if you had plenty of water in them when you left to go to work, you should be fine..........I have charged a set for a little over 24 hrs before.....as long as there is plenty of water in them, you will be fine.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
your charger will continue to charge until it get to its shut off voltage, which for a 36v cart is at or about 46v. if the batteries won't or don't get there, it will continue to charge. if you had plenty of water in them when you left to go to work, you should be fine..........I have charged a set for a little over 24 hrs before.....as long as there is plenty of water in them, you will be fine.
Okay well that makes me feel better, they were good on water. If it has been charging for this long may it be a good sign that there is still some life left in the batteries or is it still hard to say. Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO