lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How far is too far!?! Governor Adjustment-EZGO ST Sport with Subaru

I've adjusted my governor 1/2" with a piece of 1/4" tube zip tied on bolt between washer and nut. It definitely added some speed. When hunting I drive a mile on a road and I have a 1/2 mile hill both ways. The cart slows down as I climb...down to roughly 10mph probably. If I adjust governor more will I increase uphill top end speed or will reduction in torque slow me down? if I should adjust it more how far can I adjust governor without stressing the motor too much? I've changed out oil filter and input Mobil One 10W30.

I was able to use the cart for the first time at my hunting land last weekend. I drove it through the 3 worst places (mud, sandy hill, small creek) on my land and it worked perfectly. This cart is really working well so thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

As always your help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.5 KB, 0 views)
Hunting Cart Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
chrisp6108
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How far is too far!?! Governor Adjustment-EZGO ST Sport with Subaru

you wont gain anymore speed going up hills by changing governer on the motor. it will just get more rp's at top speed on flat grounds allowing the motor to rev higher, in turn getting you more speed.

i wouldnt go super high with adjusting it as it puts more stress on your motor.
just like a car would you rather drive in 3rd gear doing 6k rpm's the same speed as 5th gear only doing 2k rpm's?

how to get more climbing power would be usualy linked to clutches and drive belts, so maybe a heavy duty clutch spring is in need and maybe even a new drive belt?

i can tell you my brother has a 03 work horse and its slow taking off and it wont climb hills that my 94 marathon will, we started comparing the clutches and noticed his drive belt is not moving on the clutch fast enough causing him to loose alot of the low end torgue needed to climb the hills.

just something you may want to look into.
chrisp6108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

HCR.... You trying to out run a bear! Lol do you have the 28 clutch.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Funny you say that. We just found out we have a large black bear living on our property near Mobile, AL. See photo. I just want as much speed as possible without damaging cart. I do have re 28 clutch. Your thoughts? Should I get the shorter belt, crank up governor, both or neither?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (326.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Second photo showing bear walking down trail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (319.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hmmm ... pop $30 for the shorter belt or get eaten by a Bear, that's where we're at here, right?

Seriously, the shorter belt will actually rob you of a mile or two per hour on the top end, but it will keep the cart in a "higher gear" longer for takeoffs and hills - definitely a noticeable difference. The 22337-G1 belt is the one You are looking for, BTW.

Bears, huh? I was attacked by a pair of Wild Turkeys as a kid, 40+ years later that whole thing STILL sticks with me ... Could have a lot to do with Dad catching it all on "Super 8" and having to watch the dang movie over and over at least once a year w family at holidays, etc ... Jesus, Man - there are SONGS about getting eaten by Bears, get the shorter belt !!!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
chrisp6108
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

are you wanting to go faster or climb hills? because usualy you dont get both without a motor swap that i know of.
chrisp6108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I can sacrifice top end speed for a little more speed going up the 1/2 hill. It sounds like the shorter belt will allow me to get more speed up the hill but lees too end speed. Is that correct?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

It will climb like a cat in heat.... Lol If you go back and read the tech thread about the governor adjustment, ruredy talks about hitting the Rev limiter if you go too tight .. Said he usually adjusts his to a point just below that.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

You are correct - the way a shorter belt works is by keeping the clutches in a higher "gear" longer, meaning it allows your cart to utilize higher RPM's in the powerband which greatly increases the torque, acceleration, and hill-climbing ability of your cart ...

Many times, though, the failure of your clutches to appropriately "downshift" for hills can be caused by worn spring, helix, or ramp buttons, what grade and length of hill are we talking here? I live at an old Ski Resort, so hills are something I know (as well as carts, clutching, etc) - with good clutches including a 28 degree rear (such as You have) your cart shouldn't be slowing down that much unless the hill is inordinately long and steep.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO