lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
Magic1818
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 Yamaha G9-A No Top End/Speed Uphill w/ Load

Hello-
So just recently picked up a 1992 Yamaha G9 and have been reading post after post on how to help these things run better.

Did a complete tune up, air filter, oil change, fuel filter, new carb, new spark plug, new gas. After some advice I tighten the air box lid with zip ties but this thing still doesn't seem to be running like it should. I've messed a little with the brass governor screw and have about 1 1/8 threads showing which helped but I don't want to put anymore stress on the motor than needs to be. Belts appear good, not frayed or anything. After all this is runs a little better than when I purchased but not nearly as good as i thought it would.

The problem is the cart has no top end speed, runs pretty rough IMO, and how no power going up hills with a 4 people on it (has back seat). I've read some people when they pull the choke out half way its supposed to help or at least identify what the problem is but when I do it it wants to kill the motor (flood it i guess?)

Does anyone have anymore tips. Am I just expecting to much? I have not adjusted the carb yet at all figured that'd be a last resort sort of thing.

Should I tape the airbox shut, there appears to be a tab toward the back of the cart that is keeping it from going all the way down, cut if off maybe?

Adjust the governor screw anymore?

Seafoam?

Check the spark plug gab? I set it to what the old one was. Well the guy at Autozone did anyways. Can't seem to find what the specs say.

Definitely not a mechanic but can handle a wrench a little.

Thanks for help!
Magic1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1995 Yamaha G9-A No Top End/Speed Uphill w/ Load

People will tell you the cheapo carbs are junk I'd give the oem a good cleaning and put it back on the tape does wonders to seal a warped air box lid ... Pull the cover off the primary clutch and inspect for a broken weight if all the weights are good put the cart in nuetral and floor it watch the belt it should ride to the top of the primary clutch and sink to the bottom of the secondary
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
Magic1818
Not Yet Wild

Awesome. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

NGK BPR2ES is the plug you want to use (used on newer yamaha carts).
Clean the carb, check the spacer for cracks and leaks, do not tighten the carb on there hard it will break it especially if old. Check the clutch like said, 1-2 pumps grease in both clutches no more. Check the secondary ramps and pads on back side near grease fitting. Get a new belt if close to 1" wide they are 1 3/16 new. If the CVT does not work right you don't get the power to the ground. Carb idle mix on side is 1.5 turn out usually a little more makes it start with no choke in summer if you don't floor it. The governor screw is a 10mm nut up on top of the trans best gotten at from under the rear bumper when the cart is cool, as the muffler is above it. Turn that in for more speed, all the way stock tires is around 18mph or something. It wont give more power just speed. It should have power to spin the tires in dirt or grass stock, at speed 4 people up a hill it will slow down that is a lot of weight. The cart only weighs 600 or so itself. 9hp or so. You can put a umax spring in the secondary its a yamaha spring for utility vehicles and it works well in lifted carts, you normally don't need them in stock tire carts unless you haul weight.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
Magic1818
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for the tips. Will start working on these items this weekend. Great place, great advice. Thanks for taking the time!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1818 View Post
The problem is the cart has no top end speed, runs pretty rough IMO, and how no power going up hills with a 4 people on it (has back seat).
For information, the Japanese made the G10A-4 and the first year of the G15-A, which are 4 seaters (all looking forward), with the exact same engine as the G9-A. So you should not have a trouble, the engine can handle it!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha