lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
putter_al
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G22 yamaha gas engine

Seems like for no real good reason, I have had 4 carts that throw the intake valve push rod. Also, it does not seem to be getting enough oil up into the valve area, like the rocker arms.
I would like to blame it on a Yamaha defect with getting the oil up to this area. Anyone have this problem??? I have 68, 2015 Gas Yamahas on the golf course. I am also having severe problems with the electric fuel pumps. They don't stop pumping, they just don't seem to have enough pressure to push through the fuel injector. Put a new pump on and wa-la, runs just fine.
Just asking for a little help here in AZ, where it's not hot anymore.
putter_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: G22 yamaha gas engine

Moved, and a courtesy bump!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I seriously doubt that there is a design "defect" in the G22 engine. The 301/357 engine has been around for over 20 years. As for the push rod problem, I would suspect valves that are out of adjustment.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I had a batch of bad fuel stabilizer that gummed up the intake valves. They would close a little slower than normal, and pushrod would fall out. I ended up pulling the head off every single one of the cars that got the bad batch of fuel/stabilizer to clean the intake valve & guide.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
cfherrman
Gone Wild

On the fuel pumps, what kind of quality of fuel do you get, as in how clean? Do you fill from your own big tank and does that have a filter on it? I would install secondary fuel filters. Does the system have a return and people are running the gas low, or return is getting plugged, causing the pump to run hot.
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
putter_al
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Many thanks for all your reply's. I need to agree with the fuel being the cause for both the rods and fuel pumps. Yet, the same fuel is in the tank that the new fuel pump goes in and works just fine. However, after saying that, I am going to get a new 50 gallon fuel supply and try again.
Just for fun, I took a sample of "MY GAS" vs. the new 1000 gallon we just received. Guess what? The new fuel is almost clear and "MY GAS" looked like root beer (almost). So let's cross our fingers and see what happens the next few days while I change gas and replace fuel.
I WILL let you all know.!!!
Thanks again! Al.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Put a fuel filter on your tank.

Your basically running sand paper through your fuel fump
Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
putter_al
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, it's too early to tell. Yes, New filters on the main fuel tank, 1000 gallons, and on my little 45 gallon tank mounted on a Yamaha utility cart. Seems like the problem was with the 45 gal. tank sitting too long in the 100 degree plus heat. I say too long because during the hot summer months we don't get many players that use our carts. The homeowners use their own, battery powered carts. So ours sit for long (1 month) periods. We try to keep them rotated, but that's easier said than done. Now, the winter visitor's are coming back and all the carts are going out. Too many have been towed back and I'm going nuts. If there's a way to clean these fuel pumps I'm all ears. I still have and need 6 pumps. I can remove a pump but what should I soak it in???
Oh, by the way, thanks for all your thoughts!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I use seafoam on my boat engines, it dissolves carbon even but not sure it is the best fuel cleaner out there. I use it to clean the carb, intake, and cylinder/piston. It is probably what I would try first.

I once had a car the injectors would gum up. If you spend around $5 or more on bottle of injector cleaner and dumped it in the tank it would run like new for a long time. If you spent less it didn't clean them lol.

You could also try taking the fuel lines off and pressure blasting carb cleaner through the pump, not sure it would work, but spray can of carb cleaner can clean a lot of passages better than you think if you can get it to shoot through with pressure. Shoot it through and wait a minute for the gunk to dissolve then spray again to clean. Or you might be able to fill the line with a carb cleaner and make it suck it through the pump if possible.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
cfherrman
Gone Wild

You can treat fuel with atf, might be a cheaper alternative since you have so many tanks. Not sure probably 1/2 oz a gallon, you also can use two stroke oil.

Avoid buying e10 fuel, one it is crap fuel mixed with ethanol, and two ethanol attracts water and eats up fuel lines not meant for it, and three you need about 4% more fuel then compared to regular.

Perhaps a stick cut to the right length so you can idle the carts during off times. I start and idle everything from heavy truck diesels to my kid 4 wheelers if they have not been started in a month.

Tags
push rods & rocker arm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha