lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
K&R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48 volt shunt wound explosion?

Any of you guys that have converted a shunt wound motor system to 48 volt with a dcx controller had one explode?
I am still thinking about doing my pds cart 48 volt and have heard that is possible to explode the motor if the controller sends the wrong signal for just a split second.
I have also heard a shunt wound motor will overheat quicker than a series wound.
I just dont want to create a bunch of problems.Is it a worthwhile upgrade or should I just go to a series wound system if I really want speed without problems?Such as Club Car even though I really prefer Ezgo
Thanks,Kevin
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48 volt shunt wound explosion?

Everything I have ever been taught said Series Motors Only when it comes to over voltage
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Everything I have ever been taught said Series Motors Only when it comes to over voltage
Yea, but 48 volts is a common everyday upgrade, even for a shunt wound.

Kevin,
You must be thinking of a brushless motor or something of the sort. The controller doesn't send signals to the motor like that. It doesn't send signals to the motor at all. Depending on the system it might "receive" a signal from a speed sensor. Someone's blowing smoke up your you know what.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
K&R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think what he was refering to was that it could send a split second signal of regen braking to the motor while it is running wide open and cause it turn into a generator and blow the motor apart.He said he heard of it happening.I just wondered if anyone else has ever heard of this?Now keep in mind this is only while using an alltrax controller.
Thanks,Kevin
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have heard if you don't have the correct feild mapping this can happen you have to match the motor to the controller by having the controller programmed with to the motor you select.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO