lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Uncle bb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 no power up hill

Sorry new to forums, I have a 1983 yamaha g1 2 stroke, looks like everything is stock except the 20$ new carb I put on it,runs great after bypassing the oil injection and gething proper gas oil mix and new carb,Un hooked govener today to see if that would help,figured it wouldn't and nope.it runs 100 mph n sound great but she won't climb a decent hill unless I get a run for it,tires are not over sized ,there new ,proper psi, she runs like a raped ape but no low end balls,what to do? Compression test? If so how do I do it.primary or secondary clutches?Muffler clogged giving too much back pressure? I'm a skilled tradesman but I'm a shade tree machanic, I have a car lift Ive wrenched most of my life, but I'm not a professional mechanic,I can do things I've never did with advise. So would anyone be interested in helping me get my cart so e low end power, it's imbarrasing to tell some one to hang on cuz I have to get a run for the hill. Thanks
Uncle bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 no power up hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle bb View Post
Sorry new to forums, I have a 1983 yamaha g1 2 stroke, looks like everything is stock except the 20$ new carb I put on it,runs great after bypassing the oil injection and gething proper gas oil mix and new carb,Un hooked govener today to see if that would help,figured it wouldn't and nope.it runs 100 mph n sound great but she won't climb a decent hill unless I get a run for it,tires are not over sized ,there new ,proper psi, she runs like a raped ape but no low end balls,what to do? Compression test? If so how do I do it.primary or secondary clutches?Muffler clogged giving too much back pressure? I'm a skilled tradesman but I'm a shade tree machanic, I have a car lift Ive wrenched most of my life, but I'm not a professional mechanic,I can do things I've never did with advise. So would anyone be interested in helping me get my cart so e low end power, it's imbarrasing to tell some one to hang on cuz I have to get a run for the hill. Thanks
First thing is a compression test, forward and reverse is ideal. Second I hope your hung onto the stock carb. unless the shafts are worn out or some kinda crazy corrosion they usually just need a good cleaning and some seals replaced. If its for sure an 83 compression should be 120. Check the jug behind the primary clutch for a J10 stamp. If its stamped J17 then its the odd 1 year only 82 J17 low compression engine 80-90 psi for it.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Look behind the primary clutch at the crank seal. If there is oil there they need replaced. Do both sides. I second the carb idea, use the factory carb if you can, those cheap aftermarket carbs are not usually any good.

What kind of hill are you attempting to climb? Is this a paved road? The G1's were never meant to climb steep hills and were never built to produce low end grunt as far as power goes. The clutches should keep the engine rpm in the powerband enough to climb normal sized hills like you'd see on a golf course cart path. If not, I suspect the clutches are not right or you have a worn belt.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Uncle bb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

belt looks good, looks replaced right before i got it. no oil visible, 3 hills i climb, grass and dirt mix, one is really steep 30 feet up, the other two long gradual 100 foot incline, i have to get a run for the 1st half of both of these hills then im ok, but ive been on all kinds of carts in my life, ive golfed for 30 years, rode them at factories, even the piece of crap carts ive been on would climb the hills im bitchin about my my g1 wont without a run fer it, i understand what ya said about the low end torque on the old g1s. so? is there a somewhat cheap fix or should i sell it and get away from the g1? i do need to peel off the shell and weld the frame in a few spots, and fabricate a lift on it so the front tires wont rub under severe conditions, i dont have much in it, ive rewired it , new carb, (cheapy) new tires (stock size) knobby tread tho. cleaned it up, wire management, painted it ,put new bucket seats on it, bought it for 200$ put prob 300 in it, welded up a front bumper nice L.E.D light on the front, that was free, i had a rubbermaid trailer on my garden tractor full of logs and the tractor wouldnt climb the long hill up to my yard, i put the golf cart up against the trailer n pushed my worker up it,but a somewhat steeper hill i gotta get a run for it,i could get 800$ out of it, id rather sprinkle some magic fairy dust and get more low end torque lol
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The cheap carb you used might be the problem, assuming all the mechanicals are in good order. In my experience the factory carbs are much better. The cheap chinese carbs tend to not run well.

Also you can get a plowman's secondary clutch kit, that will give you better low end. It has a better degree of angle on the sheave faces and also uses a stiffer spring to delay upshift, keeping you in a lower gear longer for pulling hills.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1558028015&v=2
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
Uncle bb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Good stuff, thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have a G1 and it climbs hills with ease also the trailer it gets towed to golf on, it tows full of wood with ease...no problems...Mine was weak in the low end and pulling off the mark.I had no visual oil leaks from the crank case that I could see....Until I pulled the flywheel off and the clutch side...The seals were stuffed...Put new seals in and goes like a new one, it lifts the front like nearly wheel stands if plant the foot down..
Put new filters in as well,Fuel and air and original carby back on,pull it to bits and give it a good clean.

I bet the seals are shot....for sure.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo002 View Post
I have a G1 and it climbs hills with ease also the trailer it gets towed to golf on, it tows full of wood with ease...no problems...Mine was weak in the low end and pulling off the mark.I had no visual oil leaks from the crank case that I could see....Until I pulled the flywheel off and the clutch side...The seals were stuffed...Put new seals in and goes like a new one, it lifts the front like nearly wheel stands if plant the foot down..
Put new filters in as well,Fuel and air and original carby back on,pull it to bits and give it a good clean.

I bet the seals are shot....for sure.
Highly probably for sure and I still say a compression test is in order
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha