lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Default G-19e Motor clean out

Hey all - I have a 48v 2001 Yamaha G-19 with a stock motor and an Alltrax XCT-48400 controller. I have upgraded to a heavy duty solenoid and replaced all wiring with 2GA.

I started getting an overcurrent shutdown alarm on my controller, so I checked the motor out, and sure enough I am getting about 450 ohms between the A1 or A2 terminal, and the motor body. I am wondering if the motor is full of brush-dust and needs to be cleaned out. I am thinking I will pull the motor, open it up, and clean it out.

Is this a thing, or am I just making up something that wouldnt actually cause a motor short?

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks
Traviswright is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G-19e Motor clean out

You will have to find out where the short is. Often, it's a damaged armature winding that is shorting to the rotor itself. Stock motor isn't very robust and if it's the original, it's probably on it's way out. Don't replace it with another Hitachi motor. Get something better.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

OK - thanks for the advice. What is your opinion of D&D Motors?
Old 09-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have D&D motors in both of my Yamaha carts and I am very happy with them. The oldest has been in since 2016 and the newest is only 6 months old. There are other good motors out there but I don't have any experience with them.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Awesome - if I end up down the path of replacement I will go with D&D.

Well, I figured I didnt have anythign to lose, so I pulled the motor apart, and found a couple of super obvious problems. The first was that it was very dirty. Second, one of the plastic insulating washers that holds the terminal from the inside was broken. Third, and most importantly, one of the armature coils was in fact broken off and poking out. See picture. You were right on.

I am thinking I will take it to a motor repair shop to see if they can fix it, and if that does not work I will buy a D&D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3463.jpg (177.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Doesn't look really bad, i'd try to repair
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That's an odd failure. I've never seen one like that. Not sure if a shop can fix that but it's worth asking. Those motors are not that great so you might be better off replacing it before you invest in a repair.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha