lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
rsviper94
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Default G2 have starting issues

I am working on a G2 and it is starting to drive me crazy. I had it running ok the other day but now when I step on the pedal the motor turns over but it takes forever to start but once it starts it runs great as long as I keep the rpms high if I stop it takes a while to start again. I have installed a new TCI, coil and carb before this new problem started. The battery is testing at 12.6 volts when not running and testing at 13.7 volts when running at high rpm. The strange thing is that the red/white wire at the coil is only testing 10.7 volts when I am trying to start it. It seems to have a harder time starting when the motor is hot. Any ideas??????
rsviper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............
 
smallblock450sl's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma Washington
Posts: 11,653
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsviper94 View Post
I am working on a G2 and it is starting to drive me crazy. I had it running ok the other day but now when I step on the pedal the motor turns over but it takes forever to start but once it starts it runs great as long as I keep the rpms high if I stop it takes a while to start again. I have installed a new TCI, coil and carb before this new problem started. The battery is testing at 12.6 volts when not running and testing at 13.7 volts when running at high rpm. The strange thing is that the red/white wire at the coil is only testing 10.7 volts when I am trying to start it. It seems to have a harder time starting when the motor is hot. Any ideas??????
Does the wire harness look "mangeled/played with"?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
rsviper94
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

Maybe a little. Today I came home after work and the thing fired right up and all of the voltage looked right. It seems to only act up when the motor gets hot. Are you thinking a wiring problem?
rsviper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
cart de golf
Gone Wild
 
cart de golf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 469
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

check compression

ajust the valves .004" tdc cold
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
rsviper94
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

The compression is fine and the valves are set.
rsviper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!
 
Monsterezgokid's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bradford, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 749
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsviper94 View Post
It seems to only act up when the motor gets hot.
Could you varify this for us.. because if it does this only when the engine gets hot, then its probably a common issue with your ignitor moduel going bad.. Its the square box located on the inner lower side of the gas tank.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
rsviper94
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
Could you varify this for us.. because if it does this only when the engine gets hot, then its probably a common issue with your ignitor moduel going bad.. Its the square box located on the inner lower side of the gas tank.
Yes it is only when it gets hot; last night it started up with now problem but the motor was cool. The owner has put a new TCI box on the cart. I think that the starter might be getting hot and reducing the voltage; it seems to be turning less rpms when it gets hot.
rsviper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!
 
Monsterezgokid's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bradford, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 749
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsviper94 View Post
Yes it is only when it gets hot; last night it started up with now problem but the motor was cool. The owner has put a new TCI box on the cart. I think that the starter might be getting hot and reducing the voltage; it seems to be turning less rpms when it gets hot.
After reading what you posted at the top about the starter...

Have you checked the brushes in your starter, or have they ever been replaced?
I am starting to see more and more older g2's and g9's that require new brushes and repairs to the commucicator due to bad brushes.

That could be one of the reason that your having troubles turning over when warm..
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
rsviper94
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

The owner had put new brushes in the starter and that is where the problem started. The ground fuse kept blowing and it would not run when I got it; I found that one of the starter brush wires was grounding out against a main housing bolt. I fixed that problem and now I have this problem. At least I am getting closer
rsviper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
rsviper94
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: G2 have starting issues

I still have not been able to find the problem yet. I took a number of voltage reading on all of the compnents when the motor was cool and also when it was hot and the readings did not change. I am still leaning towards the starter; the starter is very hot to the touch after running it for a while.
rsviper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Key issues Electric Club Car
headlight issues Electric EZGO
For those having issues Announcements
Starting Issues with an older EzGo Gas EZGO
Gas Yamaha Issues Help! Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.