lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charger not coming on

You are going to have to get a multi meter to read the voltage in your car.There is a fuse on the charger, you can see it on the front of your charger.
If memory serves me correct you need 42 volts to operate the charger.
Now some questions for you. How old are your batteries?(on the neg terminal is a letter and a number Ex b4, would be a battery made in Feburary 2004)You might have to take a wire brush and take the battery protective spray off. When you plug the charger into the car, what do you hear? A click maybe?
Let us know how you make out!
golfcar guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Okay, no load testing yet, cart and lights still running fine. But did get a voltmeter and here's the deal. Batteries 1,2, and 4 (was number 3) show 12 volts while just sitting still. Battery 3, which was number 4, shows 8 volts. Even though I just recently checked the water levels and topped off a couple (don't remember which ones), there were a couple of cells in battery 3 that were just a hair low on water. Would it be worth it to top off those cells and put that battery on a separate trickle charger and try to get it back up to 12 volts and then see what happens when I go to charge the whole pack? Or should I go ahead and take the battery out and go get it load tested and replace if necessary?

To answer the question above, these are 08 Trojan batteries. The code stamped on each battery is D8. It's an 06 club car precedent and the batteries were replaced as a set in 08.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sounds like they're out of sync.... Probably from the lights... but if you did that from only running the lights for a little while then I'd definitely keep an eye on that battery.... What you really need to do is to charge it up and do a Specific Gravity reading on all of the cells.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Oh boy, more technology I don't understand. Situation as of right now is that the charger won't even come on when I plug it in. So, do I put the weak battery on a trickle charger by itself and hopefully it will hold a charge and then charge the entire cart? What exactly is needed to do a specific gravity test?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

if you go down to your local automotive store and ask for a hydrometer. Cost about 5-10 $'s. Take your battery caps off, insert the rubber tube in the batteries, squeeze to bulb and suck out the water. a reading of 1275 is good, a reading of 1100 is not. do that for each battery cell, record your readings(keep for future ref)let us know your findings.
golfcar guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

correct, but make sure the battery is charged when you do it... A dead battery will show very low numbers and won't tell you anything about the true capability of the cells when charged.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #17
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Red, push the reset button in the front, right cornor of your charger. Then plug it in the wall and then your cart. Do you hear a hum, click or anything? Start there! You do need to bring the DW to the proper level in the low battery. Put it on a charger and bring it up to 12V's. Also check to see what all the batteries read in a series. Use your new multimeter to check the DC voltage from bat#1 to bat#4. It will let you know your total voltage. Do it the same way you checked each battery but now they are all tied togather. There is a sticky about this.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Added DW to the low cells and have the battery on a 2a trickle charger by itself right now. Once that is done, I'll hook the battery back up and see if I can charge the cart.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Be sure to push the reset button on the charger and listen for a hum, click or anything and let us know!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #20
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Battery appears to have charged up fully but charger still not coming on when I hooked the battery back up to the pack and plug the cart in. I see what looks like a black rocker switch on the front right corner of the charger that says 15a beside it. I assume that is the fuse but I cannot figure out how to get it out to check it nor can I find a reset button. When I plug the charger in and then plug it into the cart, I do not hear a click or a hum and the meter doesn't move. Normally, it has about a 2 second delay and I get all of the above. All 4 batteries show 12v now and all cables are attached and secure and cart runs fine and lights still working. Not sure what the next step is. I would assume check any fuses but, as I said, can't figure out how to get to it and don't see a reset button.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car