lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default HD F/R switch

Whats the difference between a standard F/R switch and a heavy duty one, besides the thick copper bars across the terminals on the back side? REASON, Upgrading a 96 CC 48v DS. And in the process bought a new HD F/R switch. Looking at the new HD and the old one. The only difference I can see is the thick copper bars across the back, where the standard is only 1/2 as thick and made of a material other than copper. My main reason for asking is as I was installing the new switch and being as the copper was thicker and the terminal I was using was thicker, it didn`t leave a lot of threads left for the nut and I stripped the @#%&# threads!! . Now do I just replace the thicker bars on the old one or take the terminal wiper bar off the old one and put it on the new one?

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: HD F/R switch

did you strip the bolt hole or the bolt?...........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Copper stud that goes from the wiper contact in the front to the back to attach the cable to. Stud made of copper. Nut made of steel.

CartTrader
Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Buy a new stud?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

More copper means it can handle more amperage, and have a larger contact area to get the best connection.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
More copper means it can handle more amperage, and have a larger contact area to get the best connection.
Yes I know "more copper means more amperage" Not sure if the contact area of the wiper is larger on the HD vs the standard. They look the same.

Scottyb.....where could I get the new stud? Do they sell replacement parts for the F/R switch? The stud and the wiper contact are all one piece!!

CartTrader
Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stud has a big lug on the end of it? I'm sure somebody sells them .... they do for Ezgo
Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The stud has a big lug on the end of it? I'm sure somebody sells them .... they do for Ezgo
Yes the stud has a lug on the end of it. lug is about 1" long and 1/2" wide ..tapering a bit. Are those studs any different from the standard F/Rs? Haven`t measured but they look the same. Finding someone that sells them is going to be the problem. Thats why I was wondering if the only difference is the copper strips on the back of the switch!!

CartTrader
Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you can throw the bigger buss bars in the old switch and give it a go..... too bad about not getting all the rest of the new parts to go with it. If your old contacts are worn and pitted you may not be gaining anything?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Worn Maybe..pitted no. Hate the fact that I spent that much for a HD switch and now can`t use it, unless I get a new lug-stud. AND thats all I need for this upgrade to be finished. Installed new wires 4awg. HD solenoid, F/R switch and an Altrax axe controller. With a high speed 8-1 rear, 6" jakes lift and 22" tires. Plus a NEW custom fiberglass body! In bright orange!! Going to call it "Orange Crush" !! Oh yea and a 36v motor running 48v!!! It would do a bit over 30 gps with the old oem controller and 6 awg wires, but was a bit slow on takeoff and the wires were getting a bit warm, along with the F/R switch.
By the way this has also been inspected, titled and licensed as an LSV, before this last upgrade of wires and controller.

CartTrader
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car