lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
dsteinbuch
Not Yet Wild

Question 82 Ezgo Spark problem.

I bought this cart a few years ago. Ran good the first year. The second year, and up until now I have had this issue with the ignition and spark. I replaced the plug wire because I had no spark at the plug. Did not cure the problem, so I bought a new coil. Still did not cure the problem. While I was trying to get it running one day, I pulled the plug wire from the coil side and held it about 1/2" away from the coil to see if it would spark, and the cart stated instantly. If I pushed the wire back in place it would die. So, I put a longer boot on the coil end of the plug wire and put a hose clamp around it to hold it in place. It has been running that way since. (And running well)

Yesterday, for what ever reason it popped off and looked at the coil and it is starting to eat away at the plastic around the hole. I assume this is from the spark jumping from the wire to the coil. I decided to try and put the wire back where it belonged and it absolutely will not run that way. It has to be "Arching" in order for it to run. I also put the old coil back on and it is the same way.

Is this a timing issue and if so what is the cure for this problem?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
dsteinbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
dsteinbuch
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 82 Ezgo Spark problem.

Guess I probably should have mentioned it is a Marathon with 2 stroke Robin engine.
dsteinbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: 82 Ezgo Spark problem.

i would clean the end of coil with laquer thinner,both inside and outside. Blow out with air to dry. Install a new spark plug, not one that has been cleaned. Set gap at .030. Supreession auto spark plug wire have better insulating value and should be used, not soild core copper motorcycle spark plug wire.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition, spark, spark timing, timing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO