lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battle of the Clones Dyno run write-up (surprising)

I really dont spend much time above 6k so who knows, Im more for the acceleration end of it and man do they pull hard. Only time will tell. Im sure we will have many of these engines out there soon and we will know in short order if the stock flywheels can take it.

On another note, the majority of the kart guys use 200cc engines and the flywheels are totally different. Its a possibility that the small engines are prone to blowing up but not the big blocks.

-Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I'm just missing the carb, except I paid 120 to get the head done....really nice job too, likely too nice for what it is. Will have to be more descriptive next time. And if I get a pumper I found one for about 80. It might work better if I put a long manifold on it to have a pumper, too busy to get on that project yet. Found some 409ss plates to make flanges with though.

I know, this whole flywheel thing is such a pain. The kart guys swear the stocker is tnt if you hit 6K rpm, then again they are rubbing elbows with them....literally. Mine has a big screw (epoxied) in the center of the magnet, it is the magnet that knocks the coil off not the flywheel failing itself. And some of these issues are from early clones that were fixed long ago, so hard to know if it is an issue now or not. I don't need to go over 6 anyway, really I don't want to lose power at 2500+ and assume a cam is only going to cover so many rpm anyway. To keep the pedal start and all that on this cart I can't go wild, other family members use it as well.

Aside from the starting issues I don't think light weight is going to help that much with a CVT. It mostly helps acceleration and with a cvt that does not happen much. I'm stuck with the stock wheel until an answer comes along. Right it makes it start even harder on top of that. I do know other wheels (like from the animal) can easily be machined to the taper and used on the BB clones, but what one would have the weight and run a starter anyway. You can hunt down a honda wheel supposedly they are better, but how much better I don't know.

Should be able to use a plain old ford truck solenoid if its just a solenoid and not the bendix as well. They are running my snow plow for a few years so far lol.

Some of this stuff is getting figured out so more people can use clones, but taking forever. We need a high torque starter slash alternator to bolt on it...that would be the ticket. It just looked like too much hassle to go big with the motor for this cart, it can't fit the needs I have for it. I'll keep trying to get the most out of it though.
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
bansheemxer
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just to let you guys know...this is not a pissing contest. I know that everythng has worked great for my application. I thank everyone that has help me in the process of forwarding my progress. I will post up-coming progress in a new thread. Thank you to everybody that helped me achieve this goal.
bansheemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheemxer View Post
Just to let you guys know...this is not a pissing contest. I know that everythng has worked great for my application. I thank everyone that has help me in the process of forwarding my progress. I will post up-coming progress in a new thread. Thank you to everybody that helped me achieve this goal.
Good luck man, you will enjoy it without a doubt!

Post vids when you get it going.

-Geoff
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

Its apples and Oranges. Clones are cool, and you guys are making some huge steps in improving a great low dollar re-power. For that I truly applaud your efforts.
But... a few years ago, I went to Tom's, took a ride on one of his little yard buggies, and have been a believer. Torque is what moves you. Period. Not that mine wont rev, I have upgraded to ARC rods, and flat top pistons, but not for the added rpm, but for the increased compression to get me more torque! Now Tom was just kidding, He is 10 miles away from the closest traffic light. The kissing will have to be done at the four way stop! I will bring my camera.
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you bring a camera make sure you have a telephoto lens so you can get both carts in the picture at the finish line!

720cc 25hp Subaru Vtwin & Comet 1190 in mine
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does anyone have a vtwin cart near Las Vegas? Im excited to how how they compare.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

I believe they will both be at the finish line. I just think that Tom will get there quick enough to get a front row seat to watch second place come across the line.
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would make sense....Considering he has 230 more ccs :)

Too bad we are soo far apart.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I didn't want to pony up for a vanny for this cart, many other projects at the time. Didn't really figure I needed it anyway as this is not a serious trail cart like I want to build at some point, it gets used for any and everything and family rides it too. So figure why not get what I can out of it long as its reliable. Not been on a v twin cart but this thing has double the power of stock, sure is fun and cheap to boot.

I'm behind about anyone doing near anything to their cart, so don't think I'm saying anything is a bad idea unless its really unsafe/etc. A 50hp kohler might be right for your cart, only saying its not what I would like in this cart....is all I'm saying. I love built engines, been there with cars and boats, but not this cart at this time. Its too valuable I can't have it out of order messing with this or that, at least not until I have a spare cart lol....and that is what I am saving my pennies for.

High rpm engine can work, but is not as tractable as low rpm will be. Not as nice on trails and everyday use. Same thing with sleds we had some that ran 10K rpm and fast at drags but were terrible on the trail. They do make power, but are screaming all the time and you must clutch the cvt to run those rpm much of the time. They don't work well at low rpm so hard to putt around on them. Of course if you could hook up four clones in your cart, they you would have an equal price comparison to the v-twin I'd like to try two but most carts don't fit that. The 200cc HF are $99 each....makes you think, a 4cyl cart would be pretty cool huh? I'm surprised nobody has tried it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Its all in the R&D. Once I get the 440s dialed in, I just might start on a built 670 v-twin clone :)

I dont think a reliable 50hp would be out of the questions with a vtwin.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps