lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Where to start with a new to me 88 Marathon

I just picked up a 1988 2 stroke Marathon from a buddy. He claims it ran fine a year ago. I got it home and finally got the engine to turn over but it doesn't have enough power to move the cart. It did sit outside for at least two years. Does anyone have a link to the manual for this cart or should I bite the bullet and spend the $63. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mattisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to start with a new to me 88 Marathon

If it's running You've already started out over the hump ... Start with the basics, new plug, fuel filter, thoroughly clean the carb float bowl and jets (and to assist I have attached a diagram of your carb with the jets that will need cleaning circled) ... Pull the ground strap at the frame and wire brush or wheel it clean, same at the engine block (75% of the older Marathon electrical issues start at the ground strap, although You're getting spark so that's a good sign) - from there let's see if You're running better (if it's sat for awhile it's likely these simple tasks will fix it right up)

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OH - and there's a link to the manuals in the "Sticky" section at the top of the forum page (the "General" Marathon manual is 90% accurate to the 88 too)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
iKAB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Might want to drain the gas tank too just so you don't clean the carb and it pulls in whatever gunk might be in there.
iKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks so much for the help. I looked at the two stickys at the top of this forum and didn't see the marathon manual. I will try to post some pics tomorrow if we don't get the 2-3 inches of snow they are predicting. I will work on getting the basics accomplished and let you know what new problems arise after that. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
iKAB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Where are ya from?
iKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just North of Cincinnati.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I looked though the Sticky and still couldn't find the manual. I searched the forums and found a PDF of an 85. Is there anything drastically different between an 88 and an 85 that I should be aware of? Based on your earlier post, I assume I should be okay.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The 88 was a "one-year" model in regards to the carb, intake, reeds, exhaust, and rear end ... BUT the good news is other than the actual part #s the layout is basically identical so for all practical intents and purposes the 85-87 manual will do You just fine
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I spent some time today tooling around on the new project. I took the carb out and apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I took the fuel tank out to dump the gas. It is definitely bad. I think they were putting a 50:1 mix in the tank. There was a little bit of oil in the air line that feeds the carb?? There is no in line fuel filter for the fuel pump. The plug is pretty caked. I am going to get a new plug, air filter, both fuel filters and some new good gas at the correct ratio and put it back together. You are correct Brew City about the manual being a little off, the carb was a bit tricky to take off if you didn't follow the correct sequence of nut removal. But it still wasn't too bad. I am trying to insert a picture but not having the best success. I will work on that so you can see what I am dealing with. Thanks, for all your suggestions so far. I will keep you posted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO