lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to start with a new to me 88 Marathon

Solenoid seems to be bad. I jumped it with a very cheap jumper and the starter was working correctly. I just ordered the new solenoid. I will keep you posted after I get it installed.
mattisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Sorry about the delay getting back to You, seem to have caught a pretty nasty spring bug and yesterday was pretty much a wash, couldn't even get downstairs to play on the computer (that's when you KNOW it's bad, LOL)

As long as You ordered a Golf Cart solenoid and not just a regular 12v starter solenoid for a car You'll be fine. These carts use what's known as a "constant-duty" solenoid (same as is used on Hydraulic Plows, etc) ... While You wait for the part to arrive though it's a really good time to do just what you're doing and clean up ALL connections, etc to avoid more frustration down the road. If you can get your hands on a can of contact cleaner (NAPA, Home Depot, etc) it's a good idea *with the battery disconnected* to spray some in the F/R switch and move the handle back and forth, repeating several times to clear the crud out of there.

Once You get it fired up You should be pretty much set, sounds like You have done most if not all of the stuff required to get a cart running - from there we can tweak the minor stuff as needed :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #23
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you are feeling better. We had two nasty little bugs ravage our family this past winter. This coming from someone that rarely gets sick. I can't stand just laying in bed. I would rather go out and work on an old Golf Cart. I did order a Golf Cart Solenoid from a Golf Cart related company. I will do as you suggested and pick up a can of contact cleaner. I will then go through the electrical and clean everything up. I can't wait to get it running so I can start on some of the mods you are referring to. Remember, I promised my wife I would only work on the engine side of things this spring. I think engine mods still fall into that category. As always thanks for your guidance.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
SYP
Not Yet Wild

why not a regular car solenoid?
SYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I either have the wrong wiring diagram or the wiring in my cart is a mess. I am using the wiring diagram for an 85 Marathon and it shows only one micro switch for the F & R switch where as I have two (Micro???) switches in there. The diagram shows three switches:
1. Limit Switch- which I assume is the switch that is attached to the Gas Pedal
2. Ignition Switch- which is where the key goes
3. Micro Switch - that is attached to the buzzer and the Ignition switch

I have a fourth switch that is in the same place as the micro switch on the F & R switch just on the opposite side thus making 2 switches on the F & R switch plate.

The solenoid wires don't match up to the 85 diagram either. Do I have the correct wiring diagram? If not, Does anyone have the 88 diagram? If the 85 will work what do I connect to this fourth mysterious switch.

Right now when I hook up the battery the buzzer sounds all the time. Each time I try to trace where the wires go I get compounded with additional wires not going where they should per the 85 diagram. Please give me some guidance. I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scratch that wiring Diagram question. After a ton of searching I finally found the thread from the 88 workhorse. It had the diagram color coded and everything. What a wonderful resource this forum is. Thanks to all who contribute.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

And ??? AND ??? Cmon, Man, get that thing started, hahahahahaha :)
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
halfrack
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattisit View Post
Scratch that wiring Diagram question. After a ton of searching I finally found the thread from the 88 workhorse. It had the diagram color coded and everything. What a wonderful resource this forum is. Thanks to all who contribute.
Hi Mattisit ... could you share that '88 wiring diagram with me, I have an '88 Western sitting on a Marathon frame and the wiring is a mess? Thanks in advance ... Hope you get your cart running soon, the previous owner of my cart claimed he clocked this cart at 35mph ...
halfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
mattisit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is the wiring Diagram. I pulled it form the "88 Workhorse wiring problems" thread from TowPro form 6/3/2012. I know Brew City also had a post in that thread for the same diagram that he used to wire his 88 Marathon. His isn't color coded. I am going off memory for my cart but the connections all appear to be correct from what I remember looking at yesterday. Haven't had time to review it exactly. My Solenoid should be in the mailbox today or tomorrow and I will hopefully have it hooked up some night this week. Then I will either have it started or uncover the next weak link in the chain. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89ezgowiring8qqll2.jpg (291.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

You got REALLY lucky if the colors all still match up, Amigo - it's pretty rare to find a Marathon that hasn't had at least SOME sort of wiring surgery along the way :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO