lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Bobp
Not Yet Wild

Default Problems Teaching Workhorse to Climb Hills in Woods

I have a 1998 Workhorse 1200 that I am trying to set up for use in the woods. It has a professionally rebuilt Robin 350 engine with about 12 hours on it. Also has a tach / hour meter.

Some of the specifics:

The cart is raised 4in and has 22in tires on it.

A BU tuning spring has been installed on the drive clutch, and it engages at about 1200RPM

A 28deg cam (as used on the ST350) has been installed in the driven clutch and I think? the preload rotation on the stock spring is correct.

A 1in shorter drive belt (41in X 1 3/16in 2cy belt) has been installed.

The cart will run along at about 2300RPM on level or climbing moderate hills. But on steeper hills, that can easily be climbed with 4 wheeler; the RPM bogs down to 1600 - 1700RPM and the cart stalls.

About the only thing left (with the stock engine) seems to be installing an aftermarket "tuning" spring in the driven clutch. These have no extension tabs for torsion preload. Not sure if this would help keep the driven clutch at maximum diameter under heavy load (hill climbing)?
Bobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Re: Problems Teaching Workhorse to Climb Hills in Woods

I have a 99 workhorse with a 350 engine, and 22" tires. I've put on the shorter belt and adjusted the governor spring for more speed.

I have one steep hill to go up when hunting. While the cart does slow down to almost a crawl by the time I get near the top, it has always gotten me to the top. One day it made it with two people on the cart, and two deer on the small trailer I was pulling behind.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When it stalls try to hold the cart from moving and look at the driven clutch. Make sure it is shifting all the way down to lowest gear ratio, the belt should be at the top of the pulley.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

professionally built? just curious what that means? .....like all twisted up 350 or someone built the motor to the original specs?
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Bobp
Not Yet Wild

To icyveins -
Professionally rebuilt by J&M Golf Carts, Augusta, GA. They rebuild about 3 to 4 EZGO motors per day. The one I got was bored .25mm over.
Question - are you familiar with obtaining correct preload on driven clutch?
Bobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

answer, correct preload for driven clutch I am not familiar with. the driven clutch that I have has 28 degrees ramps with a after market spring kit that does not have the tabs for the preload setting. I have had no problems climbing anything really.
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobp View Post
To icyveins -
Professionally rebuilt by J&M Golf Carts, Augusta, GA. They rebuild about 3 to 4 EZGO motors per day. The one I got was bored .25mm over.
Question - are you familiar with obtaining correct preload on driven clutch?
Well there is your problem, J&M is next to Club Car. It is putting some bad Mo-Jo on the motor

Just kidding, I have bought parts from those folks and they seem like good people.. If you have the original length belt you may want to try going back to that. Mine seems to climb better with the normal length..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO