lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Default G16 starting issues

I have a 96 Yamaha G16. I started the cart all winter to keep it fresh and it started fine. I went to get it out a couple of weeks ago to take it for a ride and it backed out of the barn fine. When I put it in forward it did nothing. Long story short I put it back in the barn and got a new battery and installed the battery. Where I am at right now is if I go out and try to start it even in neutral it will start and run fine as long as I dont let up off the pedal. Once I let up off the pedal it will not turn over again. If I let the cart sit a bit meaning a minute or two it will turn over and start again but as soon as I let up off the pedal again it does the same thing. I have taken a hammer and tapped on the starter when it would not start and did nothing for it. Again it just started doing this all the sudden after it was starting fine in the barn all winter. Need a little help because I dont know where to start with intermittent issue.
kwjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...
 
cgtech's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 17,440
Default Re: G16 starting issues

First, Put Hammer Away! Second, pop one of the rubber caps off the starter generator and check brushes (little grey rectangle blocks), they should stick up out of the metal collar that they ride in. If not the brushes are on their way out. While you are in there, take out one of the other rubber caps and blow out the inside of the starter/generator with compressed air. Keep your face away while doing this, or you will look like one of the blackened exploded looney tunes characters, alot of carbon dust will come out. If this leads nowhere, next up is check for good power at the two small terminals on the starter solenoid when the gas pedal is pressed (its under the inspection cover at the rear).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............
 
smallblock450sl's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma Washington
Posts: 11,653
Default Re: G16 starting issues

There's also a "sticky" at the first part of this section, "so your Yamaha won't turn over", you will need a voltmeter to do the tests. Like gctech said...never use a hammer for electric problems, unless your working on an Ezgo
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 138
Default Re: G16 starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjosh View Post
I have a 96 Yamaha G16. I started the cart all winter to keep it fresh and it started fine. I went to get it out a couple of weeks ago to take it for a ride and it backed out of the barn fine. When I put it in forward it did nothing. Long story short I put it back in the barn and got a new battery and installed the battery. Where I am at right now is if I go out and try to start it even in neutral it will start and run fine as long as I dont let up off the pedal. Once I let up off the pedal it will not turn over again. If I let the cart sit a bit meaning a minute or two it will turn over and start again but as soon as I let up off the pedal again it does the same thing. I have taken a hammer and tapped on the starter when it would not start and did nothing for it. Again it just started doing this all the sudden after it was starting fine in the barn all winter. Need a little help because I dont know where to start with intermittent issue.
Micro switches can also be intermittent. jump out the switch and see if it cranks.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Default Re: G16 starting issues

What I have found so far was I pulled all the plugs in the starter and blew it out and the brushes looked fine. I put the starter back on and tried it again and still same results. I pulled black box off of left fender and check power at the solenoid and I have power on the battery side and power on both the small terminals when I hit the pedal even when it won't turn over. When the cart does not turn over the little black relay beside the solenoid will click.when the cart does turn over I get power on the other big post at the solenoid but again as soon as I lift my foot off the pedal it won't turn over again buy if you wait about 10 to 15 seconds it will turn over. It starts fine when it turns over I am just having trouble getting it to turn over all the time. Is it possible the little black relay is bad or going bad and if so is there a aftermarket relay that will work in place of it because $100 is a little ridiculous for that little relay.
kwjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Default Re: G16 starting issues

Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated.I did stop and get a solenoid for a club car and tried it on the cart with no success.
kwjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 138
Default Re: G16 starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjosh View Post
Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated.I did stop and get a solenoid for a club car and tried it on the cart with no success.
The best way to test switches and solenoids is to put a volt meter across the contacts. With the circuit energized, No voltage means contact closed. Voltage? contact open. If your showing some voltage with the contacts closed you have some resistance that should not be there. Indicates bad switch or solenoid contact. Good luck.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
kwjosh
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Default Re: G16 starting issues

Thanks for the info I just got it going a little bit ago it was a 20 amp fuse that was blown so it turns over every time now and is running but it suddenly started running rough with the air cleaner installed but if I take the air cleaner out it will run fine not sure why it is running that way it is a new air cleaner.
kwjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 138
Default Re: G16 starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjosh View Post
Thanks for the info I just got it going a little bit ago it was a 20 amp fuse that was blown so it turns over every time now and is running but it suddenly started running rough with the air cleaner installed but if I take the air cleaner out it will run fine not sure why it is running that way it is a new air cleaner.
Just a wild guess but check the choke cable and linkage. Maybe something on the air box is closing the choke when you install it? All the plastic packing off the filter?
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
Bay Beagle
Not Yet Wild
 
Bay Beagle's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9
Default Re: G16 starting issues

where was this 20 amp fuse located???
Bay Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
RXV had issues starting Gas EZGO
Starting issues? Gas Club Car
G16 starting issues Gas Yamaha
KF 82 Starting issues Gas Club Car
G2 have starting issues Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.