lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Quick 1992 Governor Question

So I've read a couple of threads saying that I don't even need my governor hooked up. I'd really like the extra speed but just want to make absolutely sure that I'm not going to do any damage to my engine. I'm not sure how many rev's it can take.

Is it okay then to crank in the adjustment on the governor in and not worry about it?

Thanks for any advice/opinions.
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Quick 1992 Governor Question

I saw a precaution somewhere that if you crank the nut in too tight, your next post might be about how to rebuild an engine. I have no idea whether that's true. It might depend on whether the engine is a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke.

It's interesting that the governor is on the differential, rather than the engine. That would suggest TO ME that it's there more to limit your speed and not so much to prevent over-revving of the engine.
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Right, that's what I was thinking too, that it is to control the speed and not so much the rev's.

The engine is the 2 cycle 244cc 3pg. I'm thinking you can rev the 2 cycle a lot more.

We'll see if anyone else chimes in.

Thanks for your input!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

To add a bit more color... I've been researching local laws with regard to on-road use of golf carts. There was mention somewhere that golf carts have governors that limit the speed to 19 mph and below, or something like that. So the purpose of the governor seems to be legal compliance with a class of vehicles. The next step up would be a "low speed vehicle" or LSV, which has a top speed of 20 - 25 mph, and for which other laws and operational/design requirements apply.

My engine is the same as yours, and I would think it would rev pretty fast, not having any valves or anything. The only thing is that a 2 cycle motor has a rather narrow power band. I don't know whether backfire becomes an issue at higher RPMs, particularly when the timing is fixed. It would be great to hear from someone who knows.
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I went ahead and opened it up. I put it on the GPS and it'll do 20 on the flat. Hasn't hurt anything yet and yes I do too believe the governor is just to keep the speed down.

Here in Ohio anything under 25 mph is considered a slow moving vehicle so we just slap on a SMV sign and don't have any problems with the law. With that said there are some cities that pass laws which make you put on turn signals, lights and brake lights. Then they require the purchase of a license.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO