lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Wiring Eagle Eye 9W LEDs

I purchased 2 white 9W LEDs and 2 red 9W LEDs. All lights are Eagle Eye brand. I have no clue (hence the name Rookie) how to wire these lights. I plan on mounting the 2 red ones through rear bumper as tail lights on its own switch. I plan on mounting the 2 white ones either as additional head lights or side lights hooked to their own switch. If any of you have experience with these lights please share wiring instructions and experience.

-2 front white lights on 1 switch
-2 rear red lights on 1 switch
Hunting Cart Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring Eagle Eye 9W LEDs

Photo of lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

simple - the red wires are power, and the black are ground. Be *very* careful stripping the wires as they are very small gauge. run from your battery "+" to the switch, then from there to the red wires on whatever set you're wiring to that switch. The blacks can either go directly to the battery "-" or you can drill a hole in the metal cart frame and attach them directly to the frame with a steel screw.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks BCM! A few additional quick questions if you don't mind relating directly to the light install.

1. Can I hook wire coming from switch to the fuse panel? I have 2 open spots where I can run one for red and one for white lights.
2. What type wire runs from switch to battery?
3. I read that lights get real hot. I'd like to put a rubber grommet inbetween light housing and plastic fender to limit some vibration. Will heat from light melt grommet?
4. Do you use regular nut or lock nut?
5. Will lights run down battery fast?

I owe you for your help. Is it legal to ship a case of beer across state lines?!? If so, it's heading your way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (155.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

As to getting your power from the fuse panel, YES that's the best way to go (I'd forgotten that You have a Workhorse which has the fuse box) ... Run from the fuse to the switch, then back to the red wire on your lights. I use either 20 or 22 gauge hookup wire (available anywhere, Lowes, Depot, Autozone, even Walmart) for the lower-powered LED's and it works fine.

As to heat, these Eagles really don't get as warm as the higher powered LED's and they have a small aluminum heatsink molded into them, so I have never felt the need to isolate them. A rubber grommet would be fine, or even a simple rubber or neoprene washer would give you the vibration dampening you're looking for.

Regular nut that comes with the light is fine, but I always use a stainless lock washer too - be careful tightening the nut though as the threads are plastic and can be stripped fairly easily. Snug, not full-on tight is the key here.

As to the Eagle Eyes running down the battery, I accidentally left the dash/courtesy lights on overnight on more than one occasion (6pcs of 9w Eagle Eye) and it didn't slow down the battery a bit - now, I have also left the 180w CREE light bar on my G16 on for about an hour to light up a project I was working on out in the woods, and THAT made a dent in the starting power (although not enough to keep the cart from starting) ... Considering the actual wattage draw of the 9w Eagle Eyes is about 1.8w, You'd have to have a couple of dozen of them at LEAST and leave them oh for several hours to cause any issues.

PM me if You get stuck with the lighting!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
BenH
Not Yet Wild

I have not used this on a cart but have used them on a trailer. Where the lights were mounted was kind of a previously rusted area with some pretty bad pitting, and to keep things nice and tight we used a couple of high quality garden hose washers, worked like a champ. If your lights are the right diameter, it is a pretty simple $2 fix.
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Success. From outside to inside its light, rubber washer, cart body, rubber washer, washer, lock washer and finally nut. I used the cart's frame bolt washers to hold ground wires tight. I ran positive wire to toggle switch. I mounted the toggle switch on the accessory bar on dash. I ran the positive from toggle to fuse box. They look great!!! Thanks BCM.

I plan on testing the brightness of the whites before deciding where and how to mount them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (158.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Toggle switches. One for reds and one for whites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Hunting Cart Rookie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I can't decide where I want to mount the two white LEDs. One thought is mount them facing sideways from front quarter panel to expand light to the sides of cart. Basically to the area the standard factory front headlights don't reach. My other thought is carefully drill out center of reflectors on side of front factory headlights. Mount the LEDs facing forward so that I can use them when I'm driving through woods during deer and turkey season instead of factory, bright headlights. I know the LEDs are bright but they aren't nearly as bright as factory head lights and they have a narrow forward beam....I think it would be less intrusive. Thoughts? Opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (193.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't use the EE's as forward lighting, but You may be onto something there as far as a sidelight ... Just not enough "Throw" for driving use. These LED's were designed to be VERY bright in a nearfield (IE under 18" or so) while also being insanely visible on a direct plane (IE as a tail or marker light). If I were to use them as a sidelight, I'd likely mount them in the plastic cowl lowers, making sure they were safely distanced from the wheel (and the lower the better - even mounting them through the running board would be great but then You'd have to drill through the running board AND frame to mount them, likely would be a mess) ...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO