lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
toicocktail
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 98 workhorse 800g lift and gears please help

I bought a 98 workhorse 800g and cant get any answers from ezgo or jakes or golf king or anyone on what lift to use Also I want to put 6 to 1 gears in the rear end and they changed the output bearing size from 1.575 to 1.378 in 1998.5 ? I don't know which mine is as I have a 98? I know i have a me-29 rear end but I want to order the correct gears. On the lift I have had 2 people tell me to order the jakes spindle kit for a pre 2001.5 txt and 3 people tell me to order the workhorse 1200 lift ? so confused I know for sure the rear axle is different from my TXT it has enclosed carriers and I dont know if thats a workhorse thing or what? I'm guessing the 800g was an obscure machine not made for very long because there is NO info on it. Please help Thanks
toicocktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 workhorse 800g lift and gears please help

The 800 IS a TXT, they just bolted on a rear section cage to hold the cargo box and also installed a scaled-down metal "Workhorse" body ... Most of them actually didn't even have the 28deg clutch from the Workhorse and they were even available with the 295 engine ... As to the lift, a standard pre-2001.5 TXT should do You fine.

As to the gears, I'm not sure if there is any external way to confirm which shaft You have - if it were me (especially this time of year when riding days are scarce unless You're in the Southwest) I'd pull it apart and confirm what You have prior to ordering - most of the site Vendors are lightning fast with shipping so worst case You're going to be down for a couple of days and have a mess to trip around in the garage, but You'll end up avoiding a double-order.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
toicocktail
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks brew city!!!
I took the rear end apart today and found the bearing size to be the smaller 1.378 diameter. Found a used set of 8to1 gears on ebay for 150. Also bought a 6" spindle lift from jakes seems to fit great, hope it holds up. The engine I got is a 20hp honda gx620 thank god I went cheap and bought an older honda as it seems the newer gx630 is not adjustable as far as the governor and there are 0 performance parts for it. The gx620 v twin at least can crank up to 4500 rpm with a little rigging so I think with the 8 to 1 it will do. Now I'm trying to figure out how to build a roll cage that doesn't look stupid. The clutch I got is a new cv tech that retails for 5 bills got it for a bill on ebay. Now just need a dash, stereo, exhaust, engine cradle, disk brakes, brush guard with winch plate, roll cage, clay basket, tach and head and tail lights. There goes the bank account.
toicocktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Billy D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Im running into some of the same issue . 03 ezgo txt workhorse with 8:1 gears and only reached 38 mph at 5100 rpm . Changed to 6:1 gears and only gained 4 mph at 4900 rpms . Any help ?
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO