lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Exclamation G29 speed Issues?!?!

Please Help.

I a m new to this forum because it appears there are a lot of informed people that visit this site and may be able to help me.

I bought a 09 Yamaha drive Top speed 11-12 mph... I researched that a speed spring can be bought to increase speed to 16-18 mph which I would like since I do drive it from my house to the course 1.5 miles away up hill. While going step by step to replace stock spring with speed spring( it goes with the governor) I noticed that I cant get the old spring out( welded in there it appears). So I put it all back together the same way I took it apart. Except now The cart goes a screaming 23mph( screaming because it revs high). That is not what I want. I re took it apart and put it back again and still 23. I even loosened the governor nut all he way and got it to 22 but still not desired. Is it possible the throttle cable is pulled somewhere making it go that fast or some other issue I can try to resolve? I am no mechanic but this was suppose to be simple. I am handy and can follow directions pretty well. I just want to get back to the 11-12 mph and be happy with it. I appreciate all your help with this.
uiuwrestler125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: G29 speed Issues?!?!

Sounds to me like the governor armature was modified to make it slip on the governor fork shaft thus bypassing the governor for top speed since its revving that high. Throttle cables wouldn't make it run that fast. You can buy a new governor armature, spring, and bushings for a little of nothing.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well it was all stock and then I wanted to mess with it but put it back together just the same way it came apart only difference is now it goes 23 instead of 11-12...nothing I can see or feel has changed other then speed. if the motor didn't rev so high I would be ok with it but I don't want any serious problems to happen either.
I will get some up close pictures tonight and see if anyone can tell if they see anything out of the norm.. Also could it be possible the throttle cable or the cable to the carb is pulled somehow causing the top end speed to double?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Start it in neutral and get somebody to apply the pedal while you watch what the governor is doing. Is it moving at all? How much tension does it take for you to push the governor with your hand. You may just figure it out by just simply watching what it's doing when the pedal is pressed. It could very well be a cable but you can't know for sure until further examination.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys I will start with that. I will be doing that as soon as I get home..
Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The governor just pulls the throttle off on most all carts. The throttle cable is attached to a spring so the governor can pull it back at higher speeds. The adjustment is usually to tighten the spring so you get more speed before it pulls it off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So in my picture the whole arm moves when the gas is pushed down is that what is suppose to happen. When I use my hand to keep it form moving as much is when the engine sounds normal again. I'm no mechanic but it appears that the arm moves to far now or the throttle is pulling it to far ( I did not mess with that before)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0980.jpg (127.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

In the very far right area of your photo graph is a oval shaped hole on the arm. That is supposed to be flush with the shaft. What's happening is the governor arm is turning but your shaft isn't push the governor arm down about 1/8" to make sure it lines up and is flush.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Your problem is that the governor arm is not installed fully. The governor shaft is "keyed", and the governor arm must be fully seated, with the governor shaft protruding out the top of the governor arm. I see DBM beat me to the answer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Chtech taught me more about carts than my high school teacher did algebra

Tags
carb adjustment, slow down cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha