lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Default Re: A quick Starter/Gen question

Okay so I got another starter/gen hooked it all up, started it let it idle(key start) put the multi meter on the battery got 12.45v disconnected the sm yellow wire on the gen grounded that post back to battery still 12.45 no up or down flux. Took multi meter to solenoid where large white wire comes from gen getting 16+v went to other side of solenoid (other large post back to battery) only getting 12v. Okay maybe bad voltage reg BUT why when I bypass VR don't I get the 16V back to battery. I'm getting 16 V in one side of solenoid but 12v out the other side back to battery
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #12
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

I had a brain fart, I think I may have figured out whats going on. I have a continuous duty solenoid with one small terminal and the two big lugs. My feelings right now are, that due to the fact that my DS has been converted by me to a key start. I have one control wire from the ignition switch S terminal. when I twist the key to start its sends 12v to the solenoid closing the circuit and allowing power from the battery to the starter/generator blah,blah so when I stop twisting the key, power is interrupted to the solenoid is this why I don't have power reaching the battery through the solenoid from the generator? I need some electrical help her guys anyone?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 AM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most of the "key start" set ups I've seen were very simple. Using the original switch which powers the blue lead to the solenoid when on and grounds the ignition when off. Disconnect the micro switches in the control box: upper switch orange wire (from solenoid) gets run to ground - that completes your circuit when ever the ignition switch is on and keeps the starter generator powered when ever the key is on. The lower switch in the control box just gets left disconnected. It's purpose is to ground the ignition and kill the spark when you release the pedal. With it disconnected the ignition will continue till you turn the key off. Final step is to adjust the idle set screw on the carburetor till you get a reasonable idle.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
mdillonaire
Getting Wild

I made my cart key start. Gutted all orginial wiring, stole a solenoid from a small starter i had lying around. key switch remote wire to starter remote in, pos battery to solenoid in, 6 gauge wire from solenoid out to starter. very simple. However, you are correct with the continuous duty solenoids, for charging the SG needs the 12v in from the battery and produce anywhere from 1 to 2 volts extra to charge. Mine puts out 1.7v without the 12v in from the battery. So far i havent had an issue with the battery dying. I wired in a voltage reg directly from where the yellow wire hooks onto the starter. Made the wiring as simple as possible to make troubleshooting easy, i suggest you do the same. Also, if youre concerned with charging, they sell special starter generators for key start carts that put out a higher voltage. But if youd like, you can do a test. Pull the SG and put it in a vice. from there, grab a battery and check the voltage. then run jumpers to the ground and positive posts and read the output at the field terminal(where the yellow wire hooks up) it should read slightly less than what you read at the battery, but somewhere still around 12v. So say 12.8v in, you get 12v out since that energy is being used. But when hooked to the engine, the engine is doing work and supplementing the charging.
mdillonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdillonaire View Post
I made my cart key start. Gutted all orginial wiring, stole a solenoid from a small starter i had lying around. key switch remote wire to starter remote in, pos battery to solenoid in, 6 gauge wire from solenoid out to starter. very simple. However, you are correct with the continuous duty solenoids, for charging the SG needs the 12v in from the battery and produce anywhere from 1 to 2 volts extra to charge. Mine puts out 1.7v without the 12v in from the battery. So far i havent had an issue with the battery dying. I wired in a voltage reg directly from where the yellow wire hooks onto the starter. Made the wiring as simple as possible to make troubleshooting easy, i suggest you do the same. Also, if youre concerned with charging, they sell special starter generators for key start carts that put out a higher voltage. But if youd like, you can do a test. Pull the SG and put it in a vice. from there, grab a battery and check the voltage. then run jumpers to the ground and positive posts and read the output at the field terminal(where the yellow wire hooks up) it should read slightly less than what you read at the battery, but somewhere still around 12v. So say 12.8v in, you get 12v out since that energy is being used. But when hooked to the engine, the engine is doing work and supplementing the charging.
Okay I am trying to follow right now my voltage regulator is wired to ground, yellow wire to S/G, red wire to the solenoid side with the large white wire from the S/G. When I ground the sm stud with the yellow wire I get 16v down thru the white wire to that side of the solenoid BUT that voltage won't pass through the solenoid to the other side where the red wire from the solenoid runs to the battery. The key in start position sends juice to the small pole on the solenoid closing the solenoid, starting the cart but as soon as I let the key go the solenoid goes "open" and the voltage from the starter/gen can't get back through the "open" solenoid to charge the battery. This is my issue there is something I am missing
Old 07-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #16
Drivembig
Not Yet Wild

Following this thread is kind of helping me with a similar problem that I am having. I also have 16+ vdc coming from the generator, but only 12-+vdc going from solenoid to the battery. My wiring is stock as far as I know(just got the cart 1992 FE290). I am watching very closely to this thread to maybe get some insight on mine. Thanks
Drivembig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #17
mdillonaire
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericandrews331@msn.com View Post
Okay I am trying to follow right now my voltage regulator is wired to ground, yellow wire to S/G, red wire to the solenoid side with the large white wire from the S/G. When I ground the sm stud with the yellow wire I get 16v down thru the white wire to that side of the solenoid BUT that voltage won't pass through the solenoid to the other side where the red wire from the solenoid runs to the battery. The key in start position sends juice to the small pole on the solenoid closing the solenoid, starting the cart but as soon as I let the key go the solenoid goes "open" and the voltage from the starter/gen can't get back through the "open" solenoid to charge the battery. This is my issue there is something I am missing
you are correct, the solenoid remains open except when the key is turned to start the cart. What you can do here is move the white wire to the other side of the solenoid or you can run a jumper with a diode across the solenoid. The power needs to be able to reach the battery and cannot do so when the solenoid remains open if it is wired to the output side of the solenoid unless the solenoid remains closed. You can even wire the white wire(VR output) directly to the positive post on the battery. You just have to eliminate the solenoid from the equation as its originally wired to remain continuously closed from the factory. Changing it to a key start eliminates that so you have to slightly change the wiring.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #18
mdillonaire
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivembig View Post
Following this thread is kind of helping me with a similar problem that I am having. I also have 16+ vdc coming from the generator, but only 12-+vdc going from solenoid to the battery. My wiring is stock as far as I know(just got the cart 1992 FE290). I am watching very closely to this thread to maybe get some insight on mine. Thanks
Is yours wired as a key start? or pedal start? If its key start, follow my steps i just posted... If not, are you getting 16v out of the SG at the field terminal? Have you tried grounding the field terminal to check the voltage reg? My guess is that your VR is probably going as its pretty common. Check the voltage at the field terminal(yellow wire) on the SG, then check the voltage coming out of the VR(white wire), then check the voltage at the battery. That helps to locate where the issue lies.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #19
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdillonaire View Post
you are correct, the solenoid remains open except when the key is turned to start the cart. What you can do here is move the white wire to the other side of the solenoid or you can run a jumper with a diode across the solenoid. The power needs to be able to reach the battery and cannot do so when the solenoid remains open if it is wired to the output side of the solenoid unless the solenoid remains closed. You can even wire the white wire(VR output) directly to the positive post on the battery. You just have to eliminate the solenoid from the equation as its originally wired to remain continuously closed from the factory. Changing it to a key start eliminates that so you have to slightly change the wiring.
Dude you are a wealth of info thank you. Okay so I can run the large white wire from the starter gen directly to the + post on the battery??? How do I know the VR will not allow the battery to overcharge? I have a new VR but not installed not sure if the old one is working or not. Does the Vr remain wired the same way?
Old 08-13-2016, 04:44 AM   #20
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

brother I really need your help in finishing this. I am pretty sure my current Voltage Regulator (VR) is done, but I( have a brand new one on the bench.) No my DS was a PEDAL START which I CHANGED to a key start.

That being said my VR has 3 wires 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 grnd

My understanding is the VR senses somehow when my battery falls below a point the VR grounds the terminal and allows the S/G to send 16 + volts back to the battery?

From just what I have gathered from you I am assuming the red wire is meant to "monitor" the voltage in the battery and when the voltage drops below a certain point the VR grounds the "yellow wire"
and allows the S/G to send "charging juice" to the battery?

Now I understand a "diode" it allows power to go one way. a diode placed correctly allows power off the S/G to "flow across" the solenoid via a jumper with a diode to flow "across" the solenoid. you mentioned running the white wire from the S/G directly to the + battery and the red wire from the V/R also to the + battery oh my head hurts LOL
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car