lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ST 400 starting issues

I'm working on a ST 400 that every now and then the starter binds up. I can usually keep bumping it and it will eventually turn over again. I pulled and checked the brushes and they look good. Battery voltage only drops to about 11.5 v under a load, it does it even when the boost charge is on the battery. I'm leaning towards a bad starter generator. Is there any way to check and confirm. It does it about 1 out of 10 starts.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ST 400 starting issues

The early ezgo carts had hitachi starters that had issues with the single cylinder Kawasaki motor. Part of it was the pulley was too big on the s/g. Gold pulley 3". The replacement was a 2.5" that could spin easier. Pretty sure this is it but will look deeper. https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Pulley-with-Belt.html
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:00 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The early ezgo carts had hitachi starters that had issues with the single cylinder Kawasaki motor. Part of it was the pulley was too big on the s/g. Gold pulley 3". The replacement was a 2.5" that could spin easier. Pretty sure this is it but will look deeper. https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Pulley-with-Belt.html
thanks Jax. It does have the gold pulley on it. That sounds about right. It acts like it just don't have the power to turn it over when it is acting up, almost like it has too much compression.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jax was suppose to say Kgsc. Darn autocorrect!

Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Found my post and yes the kit I pointed you to was it..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-kawasaki.html
Old 04-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Found my post and yes the kit I pointed you to was it..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-kawasaki.html
Thanks, I'm pretty sure this is the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's a 09 workhorse st400, the pulley is gold colored. I'm going to double check the size of it when I get home, and order one.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If it has the hitachi sg that is probably it.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can't find a tag or anything on it, but it is an 09, and the pulley is 3". Got one ordered from EZGO we'll see if that does the trick. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
zimm
Not Yet Wild

Hi - I am having similar issues with starting my workhorse 800, although it is more like all the time instead of intermittent. I am a girl, don't have anyone around regularly that knows something about moving objects (lol) so trying to troubleshoot myself with some weekend help. It has a Robin engine. Eego Manufacturer # L2098 so does that mean it is a 98 model? Anyway, new battery, cleaned all electrical connections (I think), but it won't start without manual assistance. That is pretty tough to do, left foot on pedal, seat lifted, turn flywheel by hand, then keeping gas pedal depressed enough to keep it running while you lower the seat and climb in. It will usually start after a while.....sometimes light tapping on the starter generator helps. When turning the belt manually there is a point where it gets kind of hard to turn (someone said too much compression possibly?) The engine runs just fine once you get it started. Same problem once you stop and need to start again so it isn't something that gets better after warmup. Someone said pull the plugs and see if black stuff comes out and that will tell me if the brushes in the starter are bad, have not done that. I do not know what the voltage should be in order to test and see if it is getting proper voltage to the starter, can someone give me that info? Or I saw another post discussing voltages so maybe that will tell me enough. I have been reading other posts trying to get some info. before we tear into this or spend $ on new starter generator, or even remove it to get new brushes, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like brushes pull the rubber cap off the starter and if the brush is below the holder it's time to replace the picture has brand new brushes and shows how high new ones sit above the holder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-30_14.23.32.jpg (76.0 KB, 0 views)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO