lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: England.live in a small Hamlet(village) poulation28
Default Ezgo txt

My buggy leans to the drivers side when you look at it, I have fitted new rear springs and smocks all the way round, could it be the front spring on the drivers side? Any suggestions welcome.
rockinr382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ezgo txt

Yes it can certainly be the front springs causing the lean, but also look carefully for other damaged parts. I've never been a big fan of the "half a leaf spring" arrangement those use, but I've found bent axle beams about as often as bad springs.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quite likely to be the front springs. Try swapping left to right and vice versa. if now leaning the other way, replace the springs but you may find it will level out somewhat.
Also worth making sure the rear spring shackles are sitting at the same angle, if one side@s shackles are popping back that side will sit lower. This happens sometimes after a rear end corner shunt and bends the Chassis in over the rear axle. I have had to use a power ram in there to push the chassis back to shape several times over the years.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #4
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Now for you reply changed ping the front no change I will just have to live with it as I cannot see any damage you described thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 03:27 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

if no obvious damage then you could try swapping the rear springs over. Its a bit more work but may be worth finding out.

On the golf courses, the carts are usually operated with one person on board and the drivers side springs get weak and sag more with weight ion them. How long ago did you change the rear springs. If it is only you on the cart then maybe that's your answer.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #6
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The rear springs have also been changed and also all the shocks, yes one shackle is leaning back on the drivers side, can i get longer ubolts and then jack the body up abobe the axle? Or is that a no no? Your help is great, i will get to the bottom of the problem with your continued support, thanks.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

OK. The shackles leaning back is your problem. You need to find out why. If you remove both wheels while on axle stands and take a measurement from the front rear spring fixing point to an identical point on the rear of the chassis each side. note the difference. I can pretty much guarantee the cart has had a rear end shunt at some time in its life. A good car body repair shop can pull the drivers side back out to where it should be or borrow a porta power body ram and push it back out yourself.

Yes you can flip the axle on the spring but it is not quite as simple as just using longer U bolts. there are locating lugs on the spring and on the axle that line up with both axle and the aluminium axle yoke and the plate that the shocks are fixed to. Take a look at some of the Lift kits available from popular suppliers in the states and see if any have the fitting instruction available online. Study these and you will see how it is done. You will need long bolts, a drilled spacer block and square steel plate to match the shock mount plate but without the shock mount made up and a modification to the rubber insert in the axle yoke. You will need to move the axle under the springs but be able to leave the shock mounting plate in its current location (hence the need for a similar plate to go below the spring). You may find you will need to swap out/reverse the brake backplates to releive stress on the cables and you may have to make up a drop plate to bring the front engine mount lower to keep the oil level in the engine correct because flipping the axle will make the engine lean back affecting the level of the oil. If you want an easy lift for the front as well, order an early Ezgo ST350 front axle and spindles.

By the time you have sorted this all out, you may as well order a spindle lift kit from the states it will be easier and cheaper in the long run. A four inch lift will be enough and if you want to go more than 4 inch i would recommend going with an a arm lift kit for durability. Bear in mind, if you are going down any of these routes you would be well advised to get larger tyres to suit. something like 20 or 22x10-8 should work ok on your rims.

If you want to flip your rear axle you MUST repair the sagging drivers rear first or the lift will accentuate the sagging!

(but what do i know) This info is my recall from doing this stuff ten years ago! so i may have forgotten something.

Hope i haven't put you off yet LOL.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, food for thought isint it, will have a good look, you say maybe its had a rear end shunt, do you mean that tha axle is in the wrong location? Or am i getting the wrong picture in my head? Thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

The rear of the chassis arches over the axle, if the buggy gets a shunt in the rear the arch closes up a bit. That means the gap between the spring and shackle mounts from front to rear are closer to each other. This makes the shackle lean back and the spring is higher this side effectively making the body lower. Simples Eh!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO