lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default clutch issues?

okay, we have the cart running good, but the problem now is moving.

jacked up, it will engage both clutches fine, and wheels spin just fine.

on the ground, it barely reaches 5 mph, and doesnt increase RPMs. Drive clutch doesnt seem to be engagin all the way. there is also a slight metallic tink noise that comes from the drive clutch area when the engine is settling down.

any advice on how to check both clutches? i have searched and searched and searched and the threads I find on clutches just end up in dead ends like nobody cares to answer...

SO, any help on this issue?
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: clutch issues?

I think the problem with clutch questions is that very few people have enough knowledge to give advice on them.

I took my driven clutch apart, and riveted the rear plate back on. I managed to get another year out of it before replacing. I still don't feel comfortable on giving clutch advice beyond making sure that the belt rides all the way to the top of the drive clutch, and all the way down on the driven clutch. I was glad when I didn't have to take my drive clutch apart.

I will do some more research to see if I can find a snowmobile video on youtube.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The clue here is "doesnt increase RPMs". The drive clutch can't do it's job if the engine rpms don't increase. It's the centrifugal force that forces the weights out to push the drive clutch tighter on the belt. Get the engine speed to increase and the clutch's should come to life. Back to basics fuel, spark, compression...
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

when the cart is jacked up the rpms are high, the cart runs fine the clutch engages. when the cart is on its own weight that is when the clutch doesn't engage all the way.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What year of cart are we talking if it's a four stroke have you set valve lash lately the intake valves are notorious for getting tight and this will lower compression giving you low power may explain why it will rev with no load
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

it is a 1989 ezgo marathon 2 stroke so that isnt our issue thanks though.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have you done a compression check? Does messing with the choke help it at all?
Old 12-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

yes we have done a compression check, It holds at just under 120 psi. and messing with the choke doesn't help any. it runs fine when warmed up with no choke.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
reson4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardway View Post
yes we have done a compression check, It holds at just under 120 psi. and messing with the choke doesn't help any. it runs fine when warmed up with no choke.
Sounds like you got a problem, and it's hard for the rest of us to diagnose from a distance, when you do figure it out please let us know what you found!
So, do you have some history, like is it new to you? Been sitting a long time? Maybe happened progressively? Or has just had a part replaced? Now, what does it sound like, it the engine revving up but the cart not moving? Is the engine running slow and laboring? Could the brakes be binding, adjusted too tight? Does it roll ok, like can you push the cart on the ground, this does take some effort,, front wheels binding? Okay this is a "where's Waldo" great fun! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
reson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Is this a fresh motor? Reason I ask is 120 is great compression for a fresh motor but if it's not a plugged exhaust will increase compression reading unhook the exhaust and do another compression check if it drops try riding it a short distance with muffler still unhooked and see if it improves old two strokes mufflers can get plugged up after years of use from burning oil a muffler bbq may be in order
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO