lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Changed voltage regulator-now it won’t run

My battery on my EZ Go gas would not stay charged so after reading much on this site, I replaced my voltage regulator. Easy job... well now it does not go. Engine turns over fine and it seems it is not getting fuel or spark. Almost like when it’s cold and you don’t use the choke. Could I have shorted the relay. I should have disconnected the battery first but didn’t. Did have one minor spark and disconnected after that. 25a fuse looks fine. 3 wires, 30 minutes I should have been good to go. Ideas?
Ezgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Changed voltage regulator-now it won’t run

"Did have one minor spark and disconnected after that"
Does letting of the peddle then pressing it again creat one more spark?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No. Just keeps turning over.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

my first thought is if you disconnected the battery, make sure you reconnected it the right way round. ie, negative to ground and positive to the solenoid. Its an easy mistake to make and will give similar symptoms.

Reading between the lines, the single spark was from it touching wires, and not a spark at the plug? hence then disconnecting the battery.

Have you actually checked if the spark plugs have fire?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Spark happened as I apparently touched wires or the posts where I was working to take off the old volatage regulator. Only wires I took off were the ones for the VR. However there is a red wire from the relay that seems to go to nowhere. I believe it was that way when I took the cover off. Should it be plugged into something I am not seeing? I don’t see a wire going to the fuel pump as I thought I should check that as it acts starved for fuel. Will double check fuse this afternoon but initially it did not looked bad. What does the relay do and could I have damaged that?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Have not checked plug yet. But what would cause that. Cart was working great except before this VR change.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

First of all, what year is your cart. it will help to diagnose your problem. The red wire should not be just floating about, I am hoping that it is the wire that feeds the start circuit via a fuse, the pedal switch and ignition switch. If i am right, then you should have a fuse holder under that plastic cover and it should have a wire going to it from the solenoid (relay) and the other end of the fuse holder feeds the start circuit. Go take a look and see if that is your problem.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Cart is a 2012. Will do a more thorough check this afternoon after work. It has to be something simple. But I could not find anything to plug the loose red relay wire into and I did not unplug it either. That is what is baffling about the wire and the overall situation. Should have been plug and play but I may have screwed up by initially not disconnecting battery and letting my wrench cause a spark or short. Spark may have nothing to do with this. Battery is hooked up correctly and charged. Does the fuel pump work from a wire from the VR area? I can't find one.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

as your cart is a 2012, i will have to look for a suitable reference book to check. I stopped working on EZGO before these were on the market so i cannot guarantee any info i give you is correct.

Maybe someone can chime in and tell you what you should have. maybe some close up pictures of the area you are talking about will help.

I dont know without checking, what engine you should have so without that info i am lost.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info so far. Cart has a Kawasaki stock engine. When I took off the cover I am 99% certain the red wire shown was not plugged into anything. But as I said I did get an electrical spark when my wrench touched the selenoid posts. Right now I get power from both top posts on the selenoid. One from the post hooked to the battery the other when trying to start the cart. Took the plug out and don’t see a spark when starting. I am going to check out a wiring diagram next to see what feeds the spark plug. Anyone have a quick link to the diagram? Does the relay feed the plug. Fuse is defiantly good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B48F89FD-34D6-407E-825C-3762E8D4C3C1.jpg (158.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO