lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Hulkpool
Not Yet Wild

Default Memaw's 84 ez go

Hey guys I'm new here and had a few questions.

I've got an 84 ezgo with the ec25-2pg engine that I just bought for my mother for mother's day. Drove fine when I first looked at it but now I'm noticing some issues.

Taking forever to get going and losing a lot of power when hitting an incline being the main issues.

As I started looking I noticed one of the brackets for the starter/generator was broken, the one that's apart of the block of course. Then I noticed that one of the exhaust bolts is broken off in the head along with about 4 other bolts that went to a bracket for the muffler.

So I decided to pull the motor to see what I was really dealing with. I know that i need to weld the bracket back on to the cast block and possibly fabricate some kind of reinforcing brace (thinking about cutting out a 1/8 inch plate metal spacer that would fit between the block and fan shroud to reinforce the whole **** thing). I also noticed that there is a little bit of play between the crank shaft and motor when I picked up on the clutch.

My question is should I replace the motor with a rebuilt one from the interwebs or should do a rebuild?

If I do a rebuild I still have to weld and add reinforcement to that bracket. Which isn't that big of a problem.

And also if I do a rebuild do I need the entire rebuild including the crack shaft or should I just replace the crank shaft seals and do a top end rebuild?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to give all the information I have to get the best answers. And thank you in advance for any help.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Hulkpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Memaw's 84 ez go

As I said in the other thread, take it apart to see exactly what you need.

From your description, you already need crankshaft bearings, and seals. I suspect that it needs the rubber isolator mounts for the cradle too.

You would have to give the connecting rod a good shake to see if it has a worn bearing too. Side to side movement is ok. Up, and down is bad. If it needs to be replaced, then you are looking at a new crankshaft.

After that, you would look to see how tight the piston is in the jug. Maybe it's good. Maybe it just needs rings, or maybe it's time for a new jug, and piston.
That can only be determined by a physical inspection.

After a good inspection, you can pick your poison. https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-pa...-rebuild-kits/
https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-en...cle-1976-1993/
This one can be replaced. The lower one can't. https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-to...cle-1980-1993/
The crankshaft bearings are the standard 6303 unsealed. It takes three of them.
You need two of these. https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-cr...cle-1980-1993/

Use this manual to give an idea what is going on in there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Hulkpool
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info! I posted a new thread to keep from hijacking his.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Hulkpool
Not Yet Wild

Well I took the top off the motor off and the piston seems tight with almost no play but there is a lot of carbon build up and when I pick up on the clutch there isn't much movement at all.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

All of those broken mounts are a good sign that the engine is moving in the cradle.

It could be moving enough that the belt is getting loose under load. That could be why you are losing power. A new belt is 1 3/16ths wide. Anything less than an inch is junk.

That might be your loss of power.

As for the only slight movement of the crankshaft, only you can decide what you are willing to live with. It might be good for a while. It might not be.

It will eventually get worse, and it will ruin your seals.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Hulkpool
Not Yet Wild

Since I was this far in I decided to take off the jug and see what else was bad.

The piston had some scoring so it needs top be replaced and the crank shaft is rusty.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO