lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Tachometer recommendation?

Seeing as how the cart is currently hitting 26-27mph, I think it might be wise to invest in a tach to see what RPM I’m hitting, as everyone here says I shouldnt easily getting that fast with a stock cart, having only adjusted the govenor. I’m thinking the govenor isn’t working if that’s the case. It’s. It bouncing off the limiter either though.

Anyways, suggestions?

Here’s the video I took from yesterday after installing new plugs and going back to an OEM carburetor. Running ethanol free 92 octane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWMzObwL5g
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tachometer recommendation?

No one?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you adjust the stock governor you should definitely install a tachometer. The stock 295 is supposed to have a ignition limiter but I never hit mine that I recall and my governor was maxed out (off).

I tried a $25 digital tach but am not sure it was accurate. Since now with the 625 I was getting 22-24mph at 4,000rpm (Vegas Carts tach) versus 27-28mph at less than 4,000rpm with the stock engine and cheap tach. There is not that much difference between the stock drive clutch and the 780r to explain the difference.

Either way, I wouldn't trust the ignition limiter to keep your engine safe.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
When you adjust the stock governor you should definitely install a tachometer. The stock 295 is supposed to have a ignition limiter but I never hit mine that I recall and my governor was maxed out (off).

I tried a $25 digital tach but am not sure it was accurate. Since now with the 625 I was getting 22-24mph at 4,000rpm (Vegas Carts tach) versus 27-28mph at less than 4,000rpm with the stock engine and cheap tach. There is not that much difference between the stock drive clutch and the 780r to explain the difference.

Either way, I wouldn't trust the ignition limiter to keep your engine safe.
So just any $25-30 tach will do, just set it to 4cyl?

The weird part is I don’t feel like it’s at crazy rpm WOT, but maybe.

What’s a “safe” rpm?

I honestly don’t have a for explanation as to why I’m hitting these speeds, wish I did.

And a final side question.....you’re only getting 23-24 with the 625?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My point was I don't trust the cheap tachs. It is more likely the VC tach I now have is more accurate. I wouldn't rev the stock Robin engine over 3800-4000 rpm but I am no expert. At least not for long stretches. My 295 would push my cart to 28mph with 21" tires (claimed 22") on level or slightly sloped ground.

As far as the 625, no matter how much horsepower you have, if your rpm redline is 4,000 then you won't achieve any more speed than with the 9hp Robin engine. There is more speed for engines like the VC460 because it will rev beyond the range of the 625. The key is the 625 doesn't slow down for anything short of Mt Everest. My cart now has 8:1 gears and it will do 35mph at a little over 4,000 rpm. Up pretty steep paved grades. And pull a 12' utility trailer like all I did was put a bag of dog food in the bed. The stock 295 Robin under the same conditions would strain to move the trailer at 8mph on nearly flat ground.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Any reason I wouldn’t want to just go this route with something small and simple?

Hardline Products HR-8061-2 Hour Meter/Tachometer for 2-Cylinder Engines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOOAXY..._RMMiBbZFZNG90
Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

https://www.amazon.com/Runleader-RL-...s=digital+tach

I have this tach on my gopeds and they are all pretty accurate up to about 14k
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I have used a few of the cheap tachometers and in the end you try the next product. The little digital tachs are hard to read the numbers as they blur up and down. There great on a generator with a fixed rpm. I would recommend the Equus 8086 Tachometer. It uses a inductive pickup and has a 270 degree sweep needle. Very easy to read. It can be purchased much cheaper on ebay. By the time you buy 2 of the cheap ones -- a few dollars more and you could have a great tach.

https://www.iequus.com/8068.html
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Great point about not being able to read digits ones while moving, didn’t even think of that.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Went ahead and got the Equus off Amazon for $88 after tax. Will be here by Saturday.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO