lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Missing valve key

I bought a 2002 9hp ezgo cheap. It is good shape other than the head problem.

I knew it had a problem with valve key missing. I was thinking I could apply air pressure to cylinder and put another key in. So far no luck.

I would like to check this engine out before I pull the trigger and do a rebuild. Any tips on how to get this valve key back in?

I think ezgo updated the valve keys to stop this from happening but not sure it was in these models. It is the Pre- MCI engine which I like better.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Missing valve key

Has the valve dropped completely out of the valve stem? If not don’t spin the crank. If you have already spun the crank and it hasn’t dropped be gentle and pull the plug and feed a foot or so of 1/4 rope in the hole and spin it by hand and see if the combo pushes the valve up enough to grab it. Make sure to have enough rope to pull it back out when done.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

It has not dropped out of sight. I had already tried to rope but it didn't work. I went ahead and just removed the engine.

Had it on the workbench in an hour. Working behind someone who left several bolts out.

I am going to check this engine out more. I will remove the head next week and see if any damage has been done. A rebuild may be in order . I will report back. Thanks. Tom.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

nice shop you have to work in
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Thanks, I have been working on this building for 6 straight months without a day off. Got it back almost to the way it was in 1961.

Retired for 6 and 1/2 years and had about enough of that so I am back working part time for myself :)

Major project in restoring this 1961 metal building but I am almost there. Been vacant for 21 years . I have owed this building for 40 years

The cylinder head is toast on the Robbins so I guess I will fetch a rebuilt engine.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I found a good used cylinder head with rocker arms. Price was almost nothing :) I am putting it back together now. Crank and block were perfect. I am installing only rings, two intake valves and gasket set. Should be back running soon if I can ever find time to work on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO