lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Valve lash

On the ez-go 2 cylinder engine Valve lash. About 6 or 8 months ago my friends golf cart started running poorly and finally not at all. I read here about the intake valves probably the problem. I went over and sure enough they were tight. I set them and all was good till a couple days ago and same condition again. I went over today and sure enough they were tight again, I set at .004 and all is good. I think I read that the valves were either wearing down in the seats causing the valve last to get tight and that after setting them several times the valves and seat would be too wore to seal again and then he would need a valve job. Now question is, is there a good place to read just how to do this. I have worked on engines all my life and I know I could do it but with proper instruction it would be easier rather than just winging into it. any help appreciated.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Valve lash

You can find the step by step EZGO manual on line for the tear down and reinstall with all torque specks. You can hand lap the new valves.

Before you do, I would set the valves then run a compression test first.

Its been my experience, if the valves are worn that bad the rings are too.

Running the valves every 6-8 mo's isn't that bad on an old engine.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
You can find the step by step EZGO manual on line for the tear down and reinstall with all torque specks. You can hand lap the new valves.

Before you do, I would set the valves then run a compression test first.

Its been my experience, if the valves are worn that bad the rings are too.

Running the valves every 6-8 mo's isn't that bad on an old engine.
Would that manual give instructions for removing head for valve job without removing engine?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1002 View Post
Would that manual give instructions for removing head for valve job without removing engine?

As long as you can get the clutch off the engine, its an easy job. You probably will not have to worry about the seats as the valves are softer material and wear down easy, but not the seats. Just lapping in new valves is all that is required and as stated, look in the tech section for the engine manual download. If you cant find it i may have a link to my copy on the cloud.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
As long as you can get the clutch off the engine, its an easy job. You probably will not have to worry about the seats as the valves are softer material and wear down easy, but not the seats. Just lapping in new valves is all that is required and as stated, look in the tech section for the engine manual download. If you cant find it i may have a link to my copy on the cloud.
So the clutch has to come off to remove the head?
I reported I adjusted the valves and it run good. Now 2 days later he says it pops or kinda backfires when he slows down. I used to have a 2 cycle cart and it would do that if you left your foot on the gas just a little. Will this 4 cycle cart do the same? If so either the throttle isn't closing the butterfly all the way or else for some reason he isn't getting his foot all the way off the throttle.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

To get the head off you have to remove the cam belt, belt cover and cam.

The clutch is in the way to remove the cover. You will also need cover off to line up timing marks when reinstalling belt.

The cam comes out the other side of the engine, which will be another issue, no room! The cam has to come out to get to the 2 head bolts that are under the cam.
Its actually easer just to pull the engine.

NOW, with that said!! It can be done without removing cover, I've done it. but you have to pry the top of the cover out of the way. Witch bends it all to heaven.

The trickiest part would be getting the crank/cam timed correctly.

When you take it apart put the pistons at top dead center and take a pic and mark where the timing mark is on the cam. sounds easy, But if your off one clog on the belt your EZGO turns into a NO-GO

Is the popping coming out the exhaust or carb??
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

This link is from the Gas EZGO Tech pages. A shop manual (pdf format) for the 2 cylinder Robin engines. Lots of valuable information in there:
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO