lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
dragrcr890
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Starter/generator issue

Voltmeter shows the starter generator not charging while running. So i loosen the positive wire on it and start the cart and then remove the wire while running and i get 1 volt. My friends cart same experiment gets 33vdc. So i assume mine isnt outputting properly. Look at the brushes and it looks fine. Order a new one and connect it all up and same issue.. i unhooked the regulator wire as well and no change, friends rolls around at 14-15v and mine never goes above 12 and when starting down to 11. Always dies when out and about. Im missing something, i doubt a new generator is bad... i dont have a wiring diagram to see what's in the circuit or schematic. Experts lend me a hand.
dragrcr890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
dragrcr890
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starter/generator issue

Correction i have the wiring diagram and all seems ok except the 7amp fused wire that comes of the solenoid that appears to be in the reversing switch circuit is not connected to anything?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The voltage regulator works on the ground side of the circuit, so unhooking it proves nothing - but suggests maybe the regulator isn't working. There is a green wire from the voltage regulator to the starter generator, unhook it and run a temporary jumper wire from that terminal on the s/g. With the engine running momentarily touch the other end of that jumper to ground. It should "full field" the generator and run something like 18+ volts (that's why you only do it for a moment). If that does allow it to charge that kind of voltage with the jumper, but does not carry regular (14 +) voltage as it is now, the voltage regulator should be replaced.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
dragrcr890
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well that did it. Placed a jumper on the sg to ground and it went to 14+ volts.... sounds like thats the problem. Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO