lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default 2003? TXT Clutch Questions

I am helping a good buddy with his TXT his drive belt is worn out and the sliding sheave on the primary clutch is cupped near the outer edge pretty significantly.

I will clarify on the exact year model later this morning when I get a chance, but it is definitely a 2000+ TXT.

I am new to golf carts and have spent the past two months upgrading and refreshing an '87 Yamaha G2. I feel like at this point I know my way around a G2 quite well, but this EZGO is a totally different animal. I am reaching out for some guidance from all of you EZGO pros as I don't want to assume what I know about my Yamaha's clutches and belt to be the same for the EZGO. I know they are both CVTs but from some quick looking at parts I see there are some differences in upgrade options.

My questions:

1. Should the primary clutch have a cupped sliding sheave or should it be smooth like the Yamaha?

2. If I am correct in thinking the primary's sliding sheave should not be cupped, what is the best bang for the buck replacement clutch?

3. On the secondary clutch, what do we need to inspect/rebuild/replace? Depending on condition, if a new secondary is required, what is the best bang for the buck considering we are wanting to add a torque spring?

4. For my Yamaha, I installed a torque spring in the secondary clutch which helped with low end torque and my climbing ability. For the EZGOs I am seeing torque springs for both primary and secondary clutches. Can someone fill me in on the advantages of upgrading one or the other, or both?

5. What is the best bang for the buck torque spring(s) upgrade?

6. The belt will definitely be getting replaced, it is stretched out and worn down to less than 1" wide. What belt would be the best replacement option considering we would like to install torque spring(s).

Thanks for the help, I love the knowledge sharing that goes on here!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default Re: 2003? TXT Clutch Questions

Funny picture of how my buddy went about inspecting the secondary clutch / rear end of the cart last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (359.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

I have confirmed it is in fact a 2003, the stock 295 has been swapped out with a 350.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...en-clutch.html

It should answer most of your questions. The 1" shorter belt can be a pita to get on but makes a noticeable difference.

As for the primary, no it should not be cupped. OEM clutch is the best IMO. Is it just the sliding outer sheave thats cupped? If so I may have a spare or two in good shape. I'll have to check, but if I do you can have it for whatever shipping costs unless you're local, you're welcome to swing by and grab it :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Check this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...en-clutch.html

It should answer most of your questions. The 1" shorter belt can be a pita to get on but makes a noticeable difference.

As for the primary, no it should not be cupped. OEM clutch is the best IMO. Is it just the sliding outer sheave thats cupped? If so I may have a spare or two in good shape. I'll have to check, but if I do you can have it for whatever shipping costs unless you're local, you're welcome to swing by and grab it :)
Hey CP, thanks for the offer! Please check and let me know what shipping would cost to Sugar Land (Houston) TX. I'm sure my buddy would be up for that deal.

I'll double check today, but I am pretty sure it was only the sliding outer sheave that was cupped. Is there anything else I should check on the primary to know whether just replacing the outer sheave will be sufficient?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As long as the internal parts/weights are tight, it should be good. Those clutches last a very, very long time.

I'll run outside here in a bit and check what I've got
Old 12-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Thanks CP!
Old 12-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just went out and looked. The one that came with my 98 TXT is pretty dished out. I never looked real closely at it before, it was already removed from the clutch.

I do have another from an 89... it looks the same as the one off the 98. It has a little wear, but not bad. Definitely useable with some cleanup. I'll just have to be creative in removing the spider I'll try later today or tonight and send you a couple pictures. Right now I've got a 2 year old begging to go for a ride so I need to strap on the enclosure so we dont freeze
Old 12-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

CP, you're an awesome person, I appreciate the generosity and look forward to pictures later on when the spider has removed itself!!

Have fun on your ride, I am about to head down to a friends on my convertible G2 and its in the mid 40's here right now. Wish I had an enclosure for days like today!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

52 here right now. Gets pretty chilly once you get moving.

Once you get a roof, This is the best 50 bucks I've spent on a golf cart hands down. Sure it's not the best or the nicest and the windows are sorta creased but I think I paid 55 bucks for it a couple years ago. I just use it when it's cold or occasionally raining. The rest of the time it stays in its bag on a shelf :)

Classic Accessories Fairway Travel 4-Sided 2-Person Golf Cart Enclosure, Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PGWO20..._8cM-DbT5WN0QF
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO