lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 only starts on.level ground.

My 85 G1 just got retrieved from the back of the shop where it's been sitting the last 10 years. Now I remember why I parked it ...
After cleaning the carb and tossing in a new battery it fired right up. Droves laps around the property and it runs pretty good; just don't stop on uneven ground, or you'll be pushing.
Motor spins freely, 120psi compression, but just won't catch. Get it rolling with a push, (thanks honey) and it'll catch and go.
I'm thinking a new carburetor may fix it?
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 only starts on.level ground.

at that age the fuel pump probably isn't getting the vacuum needed to operate the fuel pump, its probably time for crank seals and or a new fuel pump.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When I disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and mash the pedal, fuel dribbles out at a fairly good pace..
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I would think that if you had a fuel delivery issue it wouldn't run great on level ground as well as inclines. Same thing with the carb. If it was out of adjustment or gummed or something it wouldn't run well no matter what topography you are on.

The flat ground thing is odd. The only thing I can fathom that could be impacted by leveling is the gas in the float bowl. You may want to adjust your carb float up some and see if that helps. I suppose that if there isn't enough gas in the bowl not being level could cause whatever is there to slosh to one side and not reach the carb.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

how full is the fuel tank? I wonder if the line is cracked and on an incline it sucks air if below the crank? check for objects in the tank as well
Old 03-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, I pulled the carburetor and checked the float. Everything I read says it should be pretty level when you flip it over. This one was way up (while upside down). I reset it to level(ish) and it seems better, but mid range throttle has a big flat spot. To top it off, the new battery won't hold a charge and the ignition switch is intermittent. I ordered a new carburetor and ignition switch. Once they arrive, I'll get it running and attempt to adjust the voltage regulator to fix the charging system.
I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 03-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
how full is the fuel tank? I wonder if the line is cracked and on an incline it sucks air if below the crank? check for objects in the tank as well

This is the first thing I thought of.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
I ordered a new carburetor
If this is an aftermarket carb, good luck with that. They have not seen much success on this forum. Don't throw away your original carb. Chances are it can be rebuilt, and it will be much better than a China carb. I hope it works out.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If this is an aftermarket carb, good luck with that. They have not seen much success on this forum. Don't throw away your original carb. Chances are it can be rebuilt, and it will be much better than a China carb. I hope it works out.
agreed!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Received my new ignition switch and it works well. (old switch I had to keep pressure on the key for it to keep running.
Carburetor is still funky, but good enough. So I did confirm the battery is not charging. Red & Green wires read 5 ohms through the starter generator which is normal, but I get zero output to the regulator. A little confused because it appears the regulator is bad also. The Df terminal reads a ground constantly, which I think would overdraw the generator. Popping the top off the regulator, I don't see the contacts reacting at all. I'll spring for a $25 regulator, but is there any other test to prove the generator is shot?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha