lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
miketravis26
Not Yet Wild

Default Valves or rings?? Need help

I just rebuilt my 96 ezgo txt. New everything, valves, piston, rings, every gasket. Basically everything is new and was within spec during assembly. Problem is cart is ssluggish, BAD!!! And compression is only 85 in both cylinders if the junk harbor freight compression tester is reading correctly. Odd thing is it runs perfect!! Plugs show perfect tan color. Compression is same after adding a little oil. Valves are .004. I lapped rhe valves when installed and appeared perfect. Carts starts easy, no smoke, clutches seem good, running 1 inch shorter belt. But cart is so sluggish and I have to believe the compression readings are accurate. Any ideas?
miketravis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Valves or rings?? Need help

You might check again with your HF tester and make sure you manually hold throttle on carburetor to wide open when testing. It won't measure correct if you don't do that one thing. Post back results . If still low borrow a good tester and post those results.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
miketravis26
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I have not held the throttle wide open. I'll give it a shot. Thank u
Old 05-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
miketravis26
Not Yet Wild

And one other thing that may be important, it seems to get SLIGHTLY worse after running a little while and gets SLIGHTLY better after cooling
Old 05-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did the cart run before you rebuilt it or did you buy it not running? Does choking it help?

Also, are you 100% sure the throttle is actually opening all the way with the pedal? Those carb linkages can kinda be a PITA to route correctly since it comes into the carb from the bottom.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #6
miketravis26
Not Yet Wild

The cart did not run before, it had a broke rod and had sat for years! Choking it does not seem to help. I definately cannot say the linkage is right. Fuel delivery is not my strong point!! I kbow the way it is sat up right now at full pedal, the throttle does not seem to be open fully. I can still manually open the throttle a little more at full pedal but if I do that it starts sputtering and running horribly. It does have a new carb, filter, and all new lines. The tank has also been thoroughly cleaned and fresh fuel
Old 05-24-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketravis26 View Post
I can still manually open the throttle a little more at full pedal but if I do that it starts sputtering and running horribly. It does have a new carb, filter, and all new lines. The tank has also been thoroughly cleaned and fresh fuel
This sounds like more of a problem than anything mechanical.

Did you use an OEM carb or cheap aftermarket? I know some guys say otherwise but I've never been successful at getting a golf cart to run worth squat with an aftermarket carb. I would really highly recommend starting but giving your old OEM carb a real good cleaning and make sure to blow everything out with compressed air. I think youd be surprised at the difference.

I was helping another member here recently that was experiencing almost the exact same symptoms as you. Thing was dog slow. No power. Good compression, spark, etc. I had a spare OEM carb so I sent it to him to try. If it didnt work he could send it back, but worth trying. Cart ran great after swapping the carb with a good one.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
miketravis26
Not Yet Wild

It is aftermarket, there was not a carb on the cart when I got it. I hope it is carb, I guess the compression whats really bothering me, but then again, it is a HF tester
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO