lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Need info

I have a 1988 ezgo 2-stroke that I need a voltage regulator for. Has anyone had any luck buying an aftermarket one ?

T107-22D is the original Hitachi.

I had a used one that I tried.

The original one would not work at all. Grounded the green field wire and it went to 17 volts.

Used one I thought was going to fix this but it wouldn't kick back and was showing way high. So much for me saving used stuff but it was an OEM.

They used these regulators on other carts also so maybe someone has one laying around ? that works.

I know this regulator is the problem but I posted this in the ezgo tech section instead of sale or want section. Unless I missed something

On old cars and trucks I used to remove cover and tweak them. Sometimes that would work but most of the time we just bought one.

I know these old cars used the 3 terminal voltage regulators but I don't know what amp these golf carts use so I better see if I can find the right one.

I don't want to see this cart again so I need the right quality part if there is still such a thing .
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need info

I opened one up a few years ago. Sanded the points, and it started working again.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I opened one up a few years ago. Sanded the points, and it started working again.
Thanks, I thought about doing this yesterday but it was hot and I was ready to go home.

The one I installed had been on a cart that sit for 15 years so it might have rust or corrosion . I will give it a try.

It has been a long time ago but seems like there was an adjustment on these type of regulators that could be set with the adjusting screw ? but like I said this was back in the 60's or early 70's. We use to rebuild all starters and generators back then. We even had a growler in the shop to test the armatures

I will open up the one I took off and check it out first.

I think I had rather use this OEM than these cheap aftermarket knock offs.

If I do get it back working I would think I might have to install a voltmeter in dash so they would know if it was overcharging.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

No such luck with these regulators. Its got to have a new one.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Being I am not one to give up easy I tried your suggestion again cart around . I used some fine emery cloth this time. I did it until I thought it was clean as I could get it.

This time low and behold it worked . I called myself doing it right the first time but I must have missed something. This time YES.

I sure could not take a chance with the one I got used that was overcharging. I removed it twice , sanded points and it still did it.

I am giving up on that one before I smoke up something here in the shop. It was like the field wire was shorted to ground. I may look at closer one day because these OEM things are rare.

I can't thank you enough cart around
Old 05-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Looks like we both got lucky.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

You guys are scaring me on the regulators, are the aftermarket ones not available? Or are they like the cheapie carbs? Maybe it'll work maybe it won't, I don't need one right now or anything but I may some day
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
You guys are scaring me on the regulators, are the aftermarket ones not available? Or are they like the cheapie carbs? Maybe it'll work maybe it won't, I don't need one right now or anything but I may some day
From what I understand the aftermarkets ones are total junk like those carbs. I am not sure they would take a return on electrical things and from what I saw they are high in price. Maybe someone else has used one and got lucky like the carbs.

I did some searching and there is not any OEM regulators to be found. I am sure you could take an old tractor regulator and make work if it had the right amps or close . Again the problem would be quality.

There are only 3 terminals on it. Ground, field and battery. Parts for these classics are going away just like the 4-stroke robbin.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Dang it, Ok Trig Thanks
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

For what it's worth, amazon will return/exchange/replace pretty much anything no questions asked. Even electronics so if aftermarket is the only option, that's where I would go.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO