lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Do you grease new clutch rollers? Why not?

I read that you're not supposed to lubricate the rollers and stuff inside the clutch. If it has a housing and it actually seems to seal it pretty good then why not grease everything in there? Also I read that if you add grease to the zerk fitting then you should take off the cover and clean off any extra grease that squirts out of the other end. It said that it will ruin the clutch eventually. How is that possible? I could understand if it got grease on the belt and the face of the plates, but it's sealed under the cover.

Even this guy says to lubricate it and mentions that people say you shouldn't but he does it anyway. sounds like he works at a golf course.
https://youtu.be/EIyLRggPz4w

Just wondering so I can do the right thing. Do they say not to so that the rollers wear faster and they sell more parts? Or the grease would slow down the rollers?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Do you grease new clutch rollers? Why not?

We will start with kevins vids- he is one of those guys that your cart will run when he is done fixing it, but it can be done way better.

You want the rollers to roll, when you look at the reason why and when you have worked on hundreds and you find the ones that you removed the little bit of grease that comes out when you grease it, have no issues with flat rollers, you tend to put 2 and 2 together. Now I like shops that don't do it right, cuz then I get to make money and gain a new customer.
You can listen to someone that doesn't work on a whole bunch of carts,or you can listen to someone who has worked on a ton and tends to figure out what the issue is and CORRECT the issue so it doesn't happen again to their customers, verse someone who doesn't give a **** and just lets the problems happen without trying to really fix them.
A parts changer, verse someone who wants to do something right for the customer.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
We will start with kevins vids- he is one of those guys that your cart will run when he is done fixing it, but it can be done way better.

You want the rollers to roll, when you look at the reason why and when you have worked on hundreds and you find the ones that you removed the little bit of grease that comes out when you grease it, have no issues with flat rollers, you tend to put 2 and 2 together. Now I like shops that don't do it right, cuz then I get to make money and gain a new customer.

You can listen to someone that doesn't work on a whole bunch of carts,or you can listen to someone who has worked on a ton and tends to figure out what the issue is and CORRECT the issue so it doesn't happen again to their customers, verse someone who doesn't give a **** and just lets the problems happen without trying to really fix them.

A parts changer, verse someone who wants to do something right for the customer.
I put everything in dry and super cleaned. I thought that metal dust that was prob from the flat rollers would get in the grease. Just seemed counter to all I have done before, you know.

So the squeal/chirp went away with the new plowmans rollers, except when slowing down from about 4 or 5mph to 2 or 3mph - coming into a parking spot for example. I figure it's the dry metal vibrating and that a little chirp is normal??

Gained about 2mph vs when I first got it. Got up to 23.8 max and steady in the 23s on GPS. :) I did tune everything else up between now and then though.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

When I'm installing new rollers, I clean everything, then spray the rollers & weights with a teflon spray that completely dries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
When I'm installing new rollers, I clean everything, then spray the rollers & weights with a teflon spray that completely dries.
I agree. What he's saying is use "dry lube". There are a number of products that are not "grease" that will do a better job and not collect dust/dirt. Teflon spray leaves a slick dry film that isn't sticky or tacky. Polished surfaces that are not "high speed bearings" or "high heat friction surfaces" don't really need lube. They just need to stay clean. A polished metal surface won't hold dirt and grime if it's dry, it's slick enough that dirt doesn't stick to it. The rollers inside the clutch don't generate heat like a bearing will, so grease is not needed.

Wet lubes tend to be really sticky and attract and trap dirt like crazy, which is what wears down the parts. The dirt that sticks to the grease then rubs in between the metal parts and acts like really fine sandpaper. If the grease would stay clean, it would work fine, but in that kind of environment there's always really fine dust/dirt/metal dust that contaminates the grease. That's why it says "don't use grease" and "grease will ruin the clutch parts".
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
This is exactly how I do mine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I agree. What he's saying is use "dry lube". There are a number of products that are not "grease" that will do a better job and not collect dust/dirt. Teflon spray leaves a slick dry film that isn't sticky or tacky. Polished surfaces that are not "high speed bearings" or "high heat friction surfaces" don't really need lube. They just need to stay clean. A polished metal surface won't hold dirt and grime if it's dry, it's slick enough that dirt doesn't stick to it. The rollers inside the clutch don't generate heat like a bearing will, so grease is not needed.

Wet lubes tend to be really sticky and attract and trap dirt like crazy, which is what wears down the parts. The dirt that sticks to the grease then rubs in between the metal parts and acts like really fine sandpaper. If the grease would stay clean, it would work fine, but in that kind of environment there's always really fine dust/dirt/metal dust that contaminates the grease. That's why it says "don't use grease" and "grease will ruin the clutch parts".

Pictures of what we are not supposed to grease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavila99999 View Post
Pictures of what we are not supposed to grease?

How about a picture of the ONLY thing you should grease, itll be a lot faster that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200624-125612_Gallery.jpg (133.6 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
How about a picture of the ONLY thing you should grease, itll be a lot faster that way.

Awesome
Thanks
Absolutely helps.

jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha