lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
tomj
Not Yet Wild

Default Got a new carb on my 2pg but running super rich

The original carb started leaking in my 2 stroke robin 80's ezgo, so I replaced it with one on ebay and its running horribly rich, takes a long time to start, smells like gas when it finally does and loads up for the first 50' of driving. The screw on the side has no effect. Everything I've read said that is the only adjustment. Is that true? It runs great just before it runs out of fuel...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-06-24 16.02.58.jpg (219.2 KB, 0 views)
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: Got a new carb on my 2pg but running super rich

I have adjusted that horizontal screw nearest the engine with some degree of success. The base setting on it is run it all the way in to a soft seat, then out 1 1/2 turns and adjust from there. To see if the screw is making any difference, just run it all the way in to a soft seat and see if will start at all. These Chinese carbs arent very precisely machined and tend to run a bit rich out of the box if they run at all, at least in my experience. It will probably never run as well as it might with an OEM carb but you should be able to get it adjusted well enough that you are satisfied with it. One other quick note and this may not make a bit of difference in the world but I did notice that none of your hoses are clamped off. I have seen at least one occasion in which air was getting into the fuel system at a hose connection. I hope you get it lined out.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Look at posts 51, and 52 of this thread. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...80#post1730380

You will want a spring like that on the throttle cable to prevent backfiring, and get a smooth throttle response.

What part was leaking? You may want to repair the original with parts from the new one.

Pages J-6, J-7, and J-8 will tell you exactly how to adjust your carburetor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
tomj
Not Yet Wild

I swapped the float needle from the newer carb to the old one and put the old carb back on. The problem is just as bad as before, The carb is just getting totally flooded with fuel to the point where it is puddling in the corregated intake hose with the older carb like it was coming out thru the overflow hose in the newer carb. (the older carb does not have an overflow hose) Is there some sort of pressure regulation on the fuel pump? Because if there is and it is allowing unregulated pressurized fuel to overcome the float needle that would explain the problem...
Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Fuel going the wrong way, and pooling in the intake hose would have me checking the reed valves.

You should have suction, but no blowing.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
tomj
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the carb and reed cage and the reeds were fine, then I went to remove the fuel pump and it was a little loose to the engine case to the point where there might have been a leak of crankcase pressure/vacuum. I opened up the (mikuni diaphragm type) fuel pump and although it looked fine inside I'm not sure of how the diaphragms are supposed to feel- they are made of a transparent plastic (sort of a thin flexible version of the stuff used for plastic clamshell packaging) rather than fabric reinforced rubber like I'm used to seeing and sort of oil-can when flexed rather than flex smoothly like a softer rubber would, which has caused problems for me in string trimmer carb diaphragms in the past. In any case I reassembled everything and the first test run was OK but I need to try it again cold to be sure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO