lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZGO gas no fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by smesser5 View Post
Just got my cart back from the shop that couldn't fix it, I was putting the cart back together from the dude working on it and decided to check it for spark again. I first run a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to one if the spark plugs to check for engine ground. The plug was firing, removed the jumper cable and it was still firing. So WTH decided to see if it would start up and it did!!! Woohoo it is fixed miraculously... Started putting everything back on to the cart (covers, air box, etc...) after finished it would not start! Checked for spark and none! Kept trying it and it would spark one time and that's it and it wasn't consistent either. Thoughts????
Is the plate that the ignitor and solenoid mounts to rusty looking ? I have removed many and cleaned to get a good ground. It is common on these carts
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

Trig123.... I have cleaned the plate and grounds, thought about running a wire from the negative battery to the plate... thoughts?
smesser5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smesser5 View Post
Trig123.... I have cleaned the plate and grounds, thought about running a wire from the negative battery to the plate... thoughts?
Can't hurt. Give it a go
While spinning it over with spark tester connected try wiggling the plug in connection that goes down to pulser coil. I have seen them not make good contact and cause your problem.
Did you ever test the pulser to make sure it is generating AC voltage ?
Unplug your pulser connection and stick the two leads of a DVOM on the two wires . Set your DVOM to the lowest AC scale on your meter. Spin it over. 1/2 volt is what it needs to fire.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Can't hurt. Give it a go
While spinning it over with spark tester connected try wiggling the plug in connection that goes down to pulser coil. I have seen them not make good contact and cause your problem.
Did you ever test the pulser to make sure it is generating AC voltage ?
Unplug your pulser connection and stick the two leads of a DVOM on the two wires . Set your DVOM to the lowest AC scale on your meter. Spin it over. 1/2 volt is what it needs to fire.
The dude at the cart shop said the pulser coil is fine it had 1/2 volt. I tried a ground cable as mentioned and nothing changed. Strangely enough though, I checked for spark one time and it was firing! I actually got the engine started and running. I finished putting all the parts and pieces back on the cart and tried it again and nothing! Pulled the spark plugs and it would spark one time and that is it. Confused....
Old 11-08-2020, 01:05 AM   #15
Flushers
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey. Did you ever figure it out? I had a similar issue on my brother's cart a while back. (96 txt) and it was this connection. (See pic). The male pins that push in had spread the female pins apart to far and were not making a constant connection. I was having the same spark experience you did and it kept starting and dieing. Then my old man was moving wires in that area while I was cranking it over and it started and died a bunch of times until we pin pointed the right connection. Hopefully this help you out or someone down the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Flushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
smesser5
Not Yet Wild

Flushers- So I think I have found the problem... I took and cleaned the grounding areas (again) on the bracket where all the ignition components are mounted. Buffed the areas to the bare metal and made sure everything was tight when bolted back down. Another issue was the pulser coil was not putting out the right amount of voltage. Adjusted the air gap on it and it fired up after the before mentioned was done. These things are on a negative system so the grounding is important!!!

I was told about the pin issue you had as well, checked them and all were good.

If anyone has these problems of not firing, do yourself a favor and start with the grounds, it will save you a lot of anguish.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO