lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
seaisle1
Not Yet Wild

Default Crank seal

Took my cart to a reputable repair place to get crank seal replaced they called and told me it was done but old seal was still on shaft in motor and they put new seal on is this something that could turn into a problem 2006 ezgo txt their telling me it will just spin around on shaft for a long time what do u guys think
seaisle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Crank seal

reputable repair place??
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
seaisle1
Not Yet Wild

So I thought not sure what I can do if I refuse to pay they just keep the cart what do you think could happen with seal place was called tri state cart in Scranton
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

If they said it would just be spinning around on the shaft I wonder why they didn't remove it... don't make since.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
seaisle1
Not Yet Wild

They said it be a major issue to get it out mentioned having to remover engine
Old 10-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am assuming you had an oil leak, reason for taking it in. What exactly did they do that they need to get paid for to stop the oil leak?

If I take a vehicle of any kind in and specifically ask for a specific service, and they don't provide that service, I don't pay nadda. Now if they come back and say, "hey, your seal isn't the problem, this is the problem and we fixed it", it would depend on what they were charging for the fix, but I would generally pay for the fix unless it is some ridiculous "muffler bearing" crap. Usually when I drop off, I go through with service manager/sales dude on the deal...fix it as planned, or call me before you do anything different to avoid the mess. I aint payin for anything without prior approval. Usually means getting a call. They don't want the hassle either.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
seaisle1
Not Yet Wild

Well I dropped it off,told them it was leaking oil which was obviousl told them I thought it mite be Crank seal they said they have to look it over and shop fee of $80 an hr told them I didn’t want to go overboard with it like tell me it was 9hrs he said they would call didn’t hear anything till they called saying it was ready and seal fell in motor still working on bill
Old 10-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
newtjl
Gone Wild

Im just wondering how they got the new seal on without taking the old seal off the shaft.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, something is fishy here.

I miss understood the problem at first...thought they didn't replace the seal. Sounds like they are saying they did, and just left a piece of the old seal in place.

There are three seals, one on each end of the crank shaft, and on on the end of the balance shaft. All of them have a bearing just inside the seal. There shouldn't be any room for the old seal to have been left in there, but if it did some how, and if that spring, rubber, or anything from the old seal somehow gets bound in the associated bearing, the bearing will be shot. I attached diagrams from the manual...the seals are depicted by item 8 in diagram A, and 6 and 7 in the one with the whole case.
case end cover.PNG

Case.PNG
Something isn't adding up.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I got to admit. I have installed rings and left those crank seals in if they felt good and was not leaking to begin with. Never had one to leak. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do this though

Like others have mentioned. I would want to know how they installed a new seal and left part of the old one still there ? There is no room with the bearings.
Maybe they just left the spring from seal inside
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad mechanics
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO