lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
Picklewagon
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 TXT Boat launching modifications recommended?

I’m not new to engines or mechanics, but new to Carts. I’m hoping to get some recommendations on any upgrades y’all would do to launch a boat. I launch my 17’ aluminum boat at a resort with a not so steep dirt ramp. My cart is a twin cylinder (don’t know the motor size) with a 2”receiver. The cart is in really good shape and is lifted with big tires. The lift is NOT IFS but I may go that route one day. I’ve pulled the boat around on the flat with the cart, just to test it will pull it and the brakes will stop it with no huge issues.

I’m thinking heavy leaf springs and a heavy duty belt, possibly an upgraded clutch and brakes? I’m kind of worried I’ll get dragged in the lake on the ramp, so I’m taking all the precautions I can.

The reason I want to attempt this, is my tow vehicle is really long, there isn’t much room to turn the truck and boat around to back down to the water, it takes about 15 moves to line up to the launch. I’m thinking it would make it simple to use the cart.

Thanks for any info.
Picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 TXT Boat launching modifications recommended?

I think the most important thing would be a good aggressive knobby tread for traction, and don't back in deep enough to get the belt wet.

I pull a heavy firewood trailer with a 2 stroke. I'm always surprised at how much it will pull.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
1arunem
Gone Wild

Make sure the brakes are up to the task and not too much tongue weight for the ramp angle.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
Picklewagon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I think the most important thing would be a good aggressive knobby tread for traction, and don't back in deep enough to get the belt wet.

I pull a heavy firewood trailer with a 2 stroke. I'm always surprised at how much it will pull.

Thanks for that. The trailer is pretty well balanced, it’s a single axle and I can pick up the tongue pretty easily.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
Picklewagon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

Thanks for that. The trailer is pretty well balanced, it’s a single axle and I can pick up the tongue pretty easily. The tires on there are more aggressive than I’d ever need I think.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I use to launch my jet ski's with my stock 85 2 stroke on a cement ramp no problem, I did get a lot of BIG eyes from everyone when I did it though LOL......

Like CA said above, don't back in far enough to get the belt wet, I made that mistake once while launching a friends jet ski's with a shorter trailer. Had to get pulled out LOL....

To be on the safe side;
The first time you try it you might want to have a tow strap tied to a truck or 4 wheeler just in case it wants to pull you in, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would have somebody on standby with some chocks the first time in case something goes wrong.

Is that a Jon Boat or is it more of a Bass Boat? Weight of 17 foot boats can vary greatly.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If your rear tires are large and they get submerged they will start to float and you will loose traction. Good luck at that point, it might be too late. My recommendation is to have a good bit of weight in the back of the cart to hold it down and to not get the tires in water past halfway. Good luck.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO