lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
FarmUse
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Gas Yamaha Charging Issue/lightbar

The bar is 144w. I did not have the battery load tested but it is brand new and the largest that will fit the carts slot.
FarmUse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #12
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

12 amps for the light bar. Typical halogen set would be 35w headlights and maybe 5w taillights.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Are your cables in good condition? What kind of resistance do they test at? Good tight and clean grounds?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #14
FarmUse
Not Yet Wild

I don’t know about the resistance but yes all grounds are clean and sprayed with contact cleaner.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Just something to think about....if the cables are old, they have a good chance of being corroded all the way through. That corrosion on the ends doesn't stop there, it can creep all the way though the strands of the copper and add resistance to the cables. One way to check, take your utility knife and peel back some of the plastic insulation toward the middle of the cable. If it's shiny and clean, good to go. If it's dull and dusty looking, might think about replacing it. Not sure how old the cables are, but they aren't expensive to replace if you aren't sure.

You can also disconnect the cable on either end and measure the resistance. Compare that to a new cable of the same size and length.

To improve the system, use larger diameter stranded copper cables. The more strands, the better. Welding cables work great, and they are more flexible. Marine grade cable is even better, it's good for water and chemical resistance, but it's expensive.

Also, the type of terminal ends can make a good bit of difference. Steel strap type ends are the worst. Lead ends are better. Military spec terminals are the best for lower cost terminals.

I had problems with charging and starting on a vehicle. New battery. New alternator. Clean terminals. Just couldn't figure it out. Found corrosion in the cables. Replaced those, problem solved.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
FarmUse
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice
Old 12-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
FarmUse
Not Yet Wild

Problem solved. Hopefully this may help someone that finds this thread in the future.

I took the cart back to my mechanic to let him go over the charging system. He said the problem was not obvious and it took him a while to figure it out. Apparently one of the wires going to the starter was corroded/burned through under the insulation with no visible sign. After a while of trying to diagnose the issue he found the problem connection and the wire broke apart in his hand.

He replaced that wiring and the connectors and the cart runs perfect now. I can run the light bar at any RPM and no issues with it flickering out or running the battery down.

I appreciate everyones input on this thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha