lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default G22 has me stumped.

I'm generally pretty good with these things, but I've got one I can't figure out. Cranks but won't run - not getting fuel. A little fuel or carb spray down the throat of the air cleaner and it will fire up. Pulled fuel hose loose at carb and getting good fuel flow from the pump. Took off the carb, cleaned it all out (it wasn't that bad), ran wire through the jet holes. No joy. Tried anther carb off the shelf, same thing. Can spray into the carb inlet & it will fire up. just to make sure it wasn't a bad tank of gas, I took the fuel line back off the carb nipple and held it to the carb inlet (by the choke butterfly) and it will run a few seconds till the unmetered fuel flow floods it. Checked and changed gaskets for the spacer, changed to a spacer from another running G22, tried the carb and all from that running G22. Nothing. 150 PSI compression, checked valve adjustment anyway. No change. I've gone as far as puling the head to look for cracks/air gaps anywhere I couldn't see otherwise. Through it all it will run on carb spray - but only till it burns that spray. Will run on the fuel straight from the tank, till it floods. Somehow it's not drawing fuel through any of the 4 carbs I've tried on it. Each of them comes off with the float bowl filled. Anybody have some other suggestions?

Last edited by meimk; 11-23-2020 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: typos
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 has me stumped.

What is the compression reading?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
what is the compression reading?
150 psi.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry I missed that in your first post.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Check the vacuum line for the fuel pump sometimes it will build up with moister/oil

I have had this and you clear it out and it runs good!
matthd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have checked the pulse line. It was old rubber so I replaced it with new line. As I've said it's pumping plenty of fuel, just somehow it's not drawing it up from the float bowl. I've cleaned, blown out and run wire through the original carb, swapped to new one's off the shelf, even tried a carb borrowed off another running G22 with no luck. All of them end up with full float bowls. With 150# of compression its got to be drawing in air from someplace. I've replaced gaskets and insulator, checked surfaces with magnifier glasses, pulled the head to make sure I wasn't missing something I couldn't see from above. I guess next I'll borrow the head and all from the other G22. I hate to work by trial and error, but I'm past anything that I can make sense of. So I guess I'll just continue throwing things at it. I do appreciate the suggestions. Anybody have any other thoughts I'd be glad to hear them.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Thats the kinda problem I want to run across. Ive never had that issue, but sure seems carb related. But 4 carbs later and still wont run.... thats a good one.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

We have checked & verified that the gas pedal does open the throttle, right? I figure you have, but sometimes simple things get overlooked.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
We have checked & verified that the gas pedal does open the throttle, right? I figure you have, but sometimes simple things get overlooked.
We had a fleet of 80 G22's at one point. The "pedal to governor" cable was the most common failure we had. That was one of the first things I checked, and the cable is fine. In fact with all the carb swapping I've tried, I stopped even hooking up throttle & choke cables and have just been hooking up the fuel line and running the throttle & choke by hand. I do appreciate the thought.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Does it have the carb spacer, the black thing like G9s have, I don't recall but if so make sure its not cracked. I'd also get a new plug they can foul and not want to run right even though they look ok. Sometimes you can pull the plug boot part way off and suddenly it runs. Sometimes they don't want to run without the airbox connected, some yamaha are very picky with that, usually have to rejet them if you do anything to the airbox or if it leaks. Anyway, a bad plug will make it much more sensitive to that. Other than that, what I would do is take carb off and spray carb cleaner up the main using the little tube on the spray can, you should see the spray come out inside the carb, then you know its working. Other than your float being messed up it should be getting fuel, and then you are back to it being air leak/ignition weak/compression issue. Once I had a rocker flip off the pushrod, don't overlook something like that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha