lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2021 Yamaha Quietech - Engine Ignition

I have a 2021 Yamaha Quietech PTV and also installed Plowman's EFI performance kit on it earlier this year.

All has been running great except recently there have been a couple times after driving it a good distance where the engine would not re-start after letting off the gas pedal to slow down. The starter motor would engage fine but pushing the pedal further to the point where the throttle begins to open and the motor would normally fire, it would not. In both instances, I turned the key off, waited for about 15 seconds, turned the key back on, pushed the peddle again and it would start as normal.

When this has happened, the engine does not fire at all until I turn the key off and then back on. Does anyone know if heat, from driving it a long distance, can cause issues with the spark plug ignition system or would there be something going on with the rev limiter that might be causing this based on what I have described.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what might be causing this, would appreciate it. Thanks!
TCDrive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2021, 06:25 AM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2021 Yamaha Quietech - Engine Ignition

This is a possibility with the older cars. I have not had this problem on the QT cars.
What is involved in Plowman's performance kit?
When the car doesn't start, do you hear the fuel pump cycling?
rstacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Plowman's 2021 EFI performance kit includes new primary clutch, re-machined secondary clutch, new belt and new air filter. The kit increases low end torque and high end speed.

Yes, the fuel pump cycles every time.

The starter generator will engage turning the motor but the motor won't fire. When I turn the key off, let it sit for a few seconds, turn the key back on, it starts right back up.

It's like it's not getting the signal to fire. Assuming it is an electrical or spark (ignition) or fuel system related issue. As mentioned, this has only happened after driving the car for a while and then stopping.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You need to determine if you have a no spark or no fuel condition when this happens,
The quickest way would be to install an inline spark tester and go for a ride.
When it happens, raise the seat and in neutral, push pedal and check for spark.
If spark, it should be a fuel issue but you say cycling the key gets it going so I'm thinking more that you have an electrical issue.
Either issue I would think should still be under someone's warranty?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Agreed, thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
carman603
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am having the exact same problem on my 2020 with Plowman's kit. I have taken apart the start/stop switch under the gas pedal. Cleaned the contact points and lubed the slide and spring. Seems to help for awhile...but not a complete fix. I am certain that it is an electrical problem. Don't think the Plowman kit is the problem. HELP!!
carman603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I agree, I tend to think it is something electrical. Mine only seems to do it after I have driven it a while which leads me to think that heat has something to do with it.

Does yours only doing after driving a good distance?

If anybody has a good idea or theory as to why our carts won't immediately fire every once in a while after being driving a good distance and then stopping, let us know!
Old 10-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
carman603
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Generally, heat is not a factor. Mine may occur at my first stop in the morning. Four or five blocks from the Florida house. Today, I traveled over five miles before a stall out. BTW.. to reduce the engine heat, I remove the lower noise reduction panel to improve air flow. I have tried different brands and types of fuel without any noticeable pattern.
carman603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ignition, starting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha