lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
FL-Cart
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring 2014 Gas Yamaha cart so ignition turns everything off.

I purchased a used cart and the previous owner did some of his own wiring. There are takeoffs (using the clips where you put it over the main wire and add a secondary wire then close it to make contact) in several places. Some connections are twisted together and taped. Some of the wiring is not color coded (a lot of black regardless of + or -. All lights are LED except for the oil indicator light. Cart has the string of LEDs on the front fenders, headlights, tail lights, turn signals in the fenders and in the side mirrors and the light, brake, turn signal bar in the back at the roof.

Wondering if I should clean all of this up. My main concern is leaving something on when I turn the cart off. Thinking about connecting a 15A relay to the ignition switch and running everything from the relay. Not sure if a single 15A relay is sufficient. What size fuse would you use between the relay and the battery? What wire size would be best? Oh, there is also a dual USB port and I'm not sure if it is even protected by a fuse.
FL-Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Wiring 2014 Gas Yamaha cart so ignition turns everything off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-Cart View Post
Wondering if I should clean all of this up. My main concern is leaving something on when I turn the cart off. Thinking about connecting a 15A relay to the ignition switch and running everything from the relay. Not sure if a single 15A relay is sufficient. What size fuse would you use between the relay and the battery? What wire size would be best? Oh, there is also a dual USB port and I'm not sure if it is even protected by a fuse.
This is a difficult question to answer accurately. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say sure a 15 amp should do it. The best way is to check the current draw by inserting an amp meter at the battery terminal and power up all of the lights. Now you know the current draw.
Of course you could just go with some massive relay and call it a day.
If you don't want to do this, I have seen master disconnect switches installed at the battery.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
FL-Cart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Wiring 2014 Gas Yamaha cart so ignition turns everything off.

Thanks for the info. I wanted something a little more automatic like with the ignition switch. I'll have to trace all of the wiring and check the current draw. I was hoping someone would know.

Seems the newer Yamaha gas carts will turn everything off with the key. Wouldn't they be using a relay somewhere?
FL-Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha