lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
Hang10er
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Battery Died - Maybe fixed?

2016 G29. Replaced what I believe might have been the original battery about 6 months ago when it went dead.

With new battery all was good and then last week we got a cold snap here in South Texas. I know cold weather is not good on a battery but it was barely freezing and the cart is garage kept. Didn't run the Yami for over a week and when we did the battery was dead.

I put a trickle charger on it and it works now. It shows about 12.5 volts at the battery. With it running it shows about 14.5 volts. Does that mean the starter/generator and everything else in line is ok????

The only thing I know of that draws on the battery is a USB charging plug I had installed and they wired it always live. It has a small but bright light to illuminate the plug.

I also have ground effect LED lights but we turn those off when not in use. They have a keyring remote and I noticed when the cart is dead, if you try and start it the LED lights would come on and you'd have to turn them off with the remote. With the battery charged, they ONLY come on when you turn them on.

So with the battery reading 12plus votes and showing 14plus running, does that mean I'm ok and it was just a dead batter?

Thanks for the replies.....
Hang10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Battery Died - Maybe fixed?

14.5 running means the charging system is charging.
What you need to determine is what is drawing the battery down when not running.
Remove your positive cable from the battery and Ohm it across to the battery ground cable.
If you have a closed circuit you need to find the draw.
Maybe remove the USB fuse and then recheck.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I see that your car is fuel injected. Did you leave the key on?
Also please rewire that USB port so that it shuts off with the key.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
Hang10er
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies...

Good idea about ohm'ing across my disconnected positve and the ground. That should also show me how much that dang USB light is drawing.

And yes, I intend to swap it to a "off with the key" wire as soon as a I find it. In the meantime, I've simply unplugged it. We only really need it to charge a phone when we take the cart to the beach or the river. I have a blue tooth music system. It does go off with the key off.
Hang10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

There are some EFI carts at the lake and the biggest complaint with them is they have to turn off the key each time.
When it gets warmer I have a plan to check a cart and wiring diagram and see what it would take to activate everything with the foot pedal.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
There are some EFI carts at the lake and the biggest complaint with them is they have to turn off the key each time.
Turning the key off if the car is going to be sitting for a few hours is a problem?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:52 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
Turning the key off if the car is going to be sitting for a few hours is a problem?
When you have a lake community with people or family visiting on weekends it's everyone "remembering to do it" that's the problem.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:12 PM   #8
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
When you have a lake community with people or family visiting on weekends it's everyone "remembering to do it" that's the problem.
For short periods like that I wouldn't even worry about it. A system that is functioning properly with a good battery will go for over a week with the key on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha