lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

Hey Guys!!

First off, i am new to this, and let me thank you in advance for any help given(and for just reading this!) When i went to pick this cart up, the battery was dead, and the guy was using a Charger/Starter box to run it with the wheels off the ground. When i put my new battery in it, to test drive it, it would not start!

So seeing that it would not start with just the battery, we put the jump box back on it, and it started. (Took a while) What would cause this? My battery is a BRAND NEW Marine Starting deep cell battery. His box made it crank a little faster, but not much.

I got it home and the fuel was RANCID!! Cleaned tank, carb, jets, put it back together, nothing. I have spark, fuel (Previous owner installed an electric fuel pump) but no fire. Is there anything i am missing? When i put my hand over the intake of the carb, there is not much suction.

I only paid 175 for the thing, so i can put a little into it! Any halp would be SUPER!!

Thanks!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
patmcfann
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

do a compression check
patmcfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well I am about a 1000 miles away so it is a little hard to see what the problem is from here but I can make a guess. A 2 cycle engine needs on thing more than a 4 cycle and that is crankcase pressure. This pressure is used to move the fuel from the crankcase to the cylinder and to drive the fuel pump. I am always a little suspicious when I hear that "the previous owner fitted an electric pump". Pour quo? as we say in German. Well it might be that the vacuum pump failed but why not fit the correct one after all it is only $33? Maybe they did and it still didn't work if that is the case you are looking at your crankshaft seals.
Still there are some things that you can do first. Try mixing a little batch of gas/oil at 128:1 and squirting that directly into the air intake, now crank her up. If she fires and runs for a few seconds you have a dirty carburetor. If you still have nothing we have to look deeper. As Patmcfann says a compression test would not hurt but at this stage I am not sure if it is worth buying a tester if you don't already have access to one.
Anyway try a squirt and report back
Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

Dave,

Thanks for the info!! I tried to spray some gasoil in the carb, no luck. Borrowed neighbors comp. tester, an i have 130psi on the nose! Kinda happy about that one! So i assumed the crank seals where shot. Pulled motor out, which is pretty darn easy! Borrowed neighbors puller (it is great living next to an auto mechanic!) and removed flywheel. That WAS NOT FUN!! I nearly &#!t my pants when the flywheel popped off!! POP! And low and behold, the seal was completely out, just resting on the crank!

Long story short, now that i have the motor out and on the bench, it there anything else that i should look for, or at? That black little box behind the flywheel, is that the pulsar? Should i test it? How? Any info from anyone would be great. Also, how about some sort of ignition upgrade? The muffler also has something rattling inside it, normal? Baffle? If it is actually broken, can i cut the top off and re weld it?

Thanks a $!

Jon Bennett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0287.jpg (108.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0289.jpg (113.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by EZ-GoingJon; 11-21-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Forgot something!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The good news is that you have solved your problem. The bad news is ..... oh wait there is no bad news. Kudos to you for getting your engine out and pulling that flywheel. The first time I did mine it came off with such a bang I thought " oh dear me I have broken the puller" although those were not the words that I actuallly said. Now you are faced with an investment of $7 for two new seals, well you didn't think that you could put that ratty old seal back in did you?

You will also need to get a 3/4 inch fine thread hardened bolt 2 inches long and a piece of 5/8ths steel rod 3 inches long. Remove the long bolt that holds the centrifugal clutch onto the crankshaft and give the clutch / shaft a good shot of liquid wrench or WD40 or similar. Now insert the rod into the center of the clutch and wind in the bolt. Keep turning and in a similar manner to the flywheel the clutch will pop off. Now you have access to the rear crankshaft seal. You really should change the rear seal as well, as this is the one that wears the most and I am sure you don't want to be doing this again in the summer of 2011. As you have had one fall out I would be tempted to use a little Loctite bearing seal on the metal to metal contact of the seal to the crankcase. Also smear a little two stroke oil on the crankshaft to give an intial lube when you start the engine.

Yes indeed that little black box is the pulsar. You can test it in two ways. Without the engine running you can measure its resistance which should be between 75 and 140 ohms. With the engine cranking you can measure across the wires and you should see >1/2 volt ac.
You may have seen mention of the HEI mod. That mod does not include the pulsar so go ahead and rebuild your engine, if you need to do the mod that can happen with the engine in. Look for posts from Brew City Music on the HEI mod he knows all about it and has posted the circuit and pictures of his cart.

Miscellaneous points. 130 psi is bang on so your little engine is in fine fettle. If you have the ability to cut open your muffler (and weld it back together again) it would be good to fix what is probably a broken baffle. Also like all 2 strokes it has a tendency to block the muffler with oil residue so you will be able to give it a clean. A common solution is to put the muffler on an outside fire and roast it. After about 30 minutes it will get so hot that all the accumulated carbon mess burns out and you are done.

The business of the electric fuel pump concerns me a little. If the diaphragm has ruptured it is possible that crankcase pressure will be leaking from the pump. If it was mine I would be tempted to invest $33 in a new pump and return it to stock. However if you want to leave it alone, whilst the engine is out I would remove the old pump and put a piece of tape over the hole in the crankcase and then replace the defective pump. This will ensure the integrity of your crankcase.

Good job here Jon, if you need any more help just call

Dave
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

Dave,

I removed both seals, but i am going to push the one that just fell out back in. It looked okay, not torn or anything. Don't want to invest 3.99 on something that is in good shape. It was easy to pull the motor, so if it goes out, i will replace it............. If someone said that to me, i might be tempted to reach through the computer and slap them!! I ordered all new seals and gaskets today, cant wait to get it all buttoned back up and take her for a spin around the block! I will keep you posted on the progress!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Jon Bennett
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

Mad engine skills and a sense of humor, way cool man
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

I was wondering if anyone has any manuals for this cart? Engine manual? If so, would would anyone be willing to share it with me? Just like to have the info round!

Thanks

Jon Bennett
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

Well, i got my parts in today! I ordered 2 new crank seals, and they sent me 2 packs of 20!!! Thats right, i got 40 for the price of 2!! Has that happened to n e 1 before? I will call buggies unlimited tomorrow and inform them of their error. I hope to have the beast running by tomorrow!

Jon
Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 82' EZ GO gasser with a weird problem

Well, it is running!! I put the new seals and gaskets in, and it fired right up, first crank! Thanks to everyone for all your help!! I know where to come when i have another problem!

Jon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO