lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
wardo5757
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 92 Club Car Rebuild (Help Needed)

Hey guys! I just joined this site and have been lurking for a couple of days now, I’m amazed at the knowledge so many of you guys have here.
I have a 92 Club Car 36v with the coil resisters. About a year ago I installed 6-12v marine batteries, 3 sets of two in parallel in series (hope I wrote that correctly). Saturday morning I decided to start rebuilding it and it's down to the frame right now. I want to repaint it, lift it 6 inches, new wheels, add rear seats and ofcourse more power!!
I'm hoping you guys can help me along the way, first by giving me advice on what upgrades I should do to the motor, wiring and frame work since that’s where I am right now. As far as the frame goes, it looks in great shape aside from corrosion on the battery brackets, I will need to replace those.
I just want to say thanks in advance!
Eddie

Edit: I started an album on photobucket to keep track of the progress. Here's the link

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ar%20Re-build/
wardo5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 92 Club Car Rebuild (Help Needed)

GREAT you added pictures.
Things noticed to check!
1- rear spring shackles wrong ( should be straight ones GAS IS offset like you have, puts springs in bind? with electric differential )
2- front suspension is older style used from 19840-1991 ( harder to get some parts for and not as adaptable?
3- YES repair battery frame. ( use aluminum if possible and weld or use satinless bolts and nuts to protect from electrolisis )
NOW TO UPGRADES every one has their own idea's of what should be done BUT FIRST IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE AND HOW MUCH POWER AND LOOKS YOU CAN AFFORD?
I would with unlimited budget do following
New Trojan or Crown batterys HD 8 VOLTS ( highest amp rating you can afford ) for a total of 48 volts minimum SORRY THE 12 volt marine batterys have to go, install at least 4 guage welding multi stranded cables minimum, update or change your motor with higher HP and Torque and or speed like a PLUM QUICK, etc??, install HD F&R control, install 500 amp Alltrax controller to match motor size ( be sure to add fuse between batterys and solenoid for protection, install 48 volt HD solenoid with correct diode and resistor, NOW upgrade your V glide with either addition of solid state electronic resistors, or BETTER YET either replace with a late model MCOR IF YOUR PEDAL IS CORRECT STYLE, or a Curtis PB-6 speed control ( I like the Curtis PB-6 myself but little more work needed to hook up linkage?
Now to lifts it depends on how what 6" Lift you want? if you go spindle way, OR long travel I like the what Jakes builds best, but All Sport puts out a great lift also ( lots of after market Chinese JUNK on the market? ) Wheels and tiires size and tread again depend on what you want, looks or performance ( note some kits can come with lift and wheels and tires at cheaper price than seperate? ), Rear seats come in many different setups but here I like the fold down kind so you could haul some thing besides people ( added weight will require addition of HD springs OR additional leaf to your existing spring, on rear at least if not front as well? )
This gives you something to start looking into what you want and can afford in this tight budget world of today? On my OBAMA starvation retirement income this is not possible anymore?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Things noticed to check!
1- rear spring shackles wrong ( should be straight ones GAS IS offset like you have, puts springs in bind? with electric differential )
2- front suspension is older style used from 19840-1991 ( harder to get some parts for and not as adaptable?
3- YES repair battery frame. ( use aluminum if possible and weld or use satinless bolts and nuts to protect from electrolisis )
NOW TO UPGRADES every one has their own idea's of what should be done BUT FIRST IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE AND HOW MUCH POWER AND LOOKS YOU CAN AFFORD?
New Trojan or Crown batterys HD 8 VOLTS ( highest amp rating you can afford ) for a total of 48 volts minimum SORRY THE 12 volt marine batterys have to go, install at least 4 guage welding multi stranded cables minimum, update or change your motor with higher HP and Torque and or speed like a PLUM QUICK, etc??, install HD F&R control, install 500 amp Alltrax controller to match motor size ( be sure to add fuse between batterys and solenoid for protection, install 48 volt HD solenoid with correct diode and resistor, NOW upgrade your V glide with either addition of solid state electronic resistors, or BETTER YET either replace with a late model MCOR IF YOUR PEDAL IS CORRECT STYLE, or a Curtis PB-6 speed control ( I like the Curtis PB-6 myself but little more work needed to hook up linkage?
Now to lifts it depends on how what 6" Lift you want? if you go spindle way, OR long travel I like the what Jakes builds best, but All Sport puts out a great lift also ( lots of after market Chinese JUNK on the market? ) Wheels and tiires size and tread again depend on what you want, looks or performance ( note some kits can come with lift and wheels and tires at cheaper price than seperate? ), Rear seats come in many different setups but here I like the fold down kind so you could haul some thing besides people ( added weight will require addition of HD springs OR additional leaf to your existing spring, on rear at least if not front as well? )
This gives you something to start looking into what you want and can afford in this tight budget world of today? On my OBAMA starvation retirement income this is not possible anymore?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST site said try again in 12 seconds so I waited 12 seconds and ended up with double posts??
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
wardo5757
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Things noticed to check!
Thanks for the advice Old Mec!! I will be adding a lot of pictures during this build, my phone is with me always so I just snap them and upload to Photobucket instantly, works great!
I’ve had this cart for almost 2 years now, I thought the previous owner wrecked it and bent those shackles, it makes no sense why they would be offset…
I don’t have an unlimited budget, I have a wife, 6 yo girl and 5 yo boy, they would all kill me if I put too much into this. That being said, my target would be around 1500 in the next few months. Speed is important, but compared to the 11mph it currently goes, I think 16-18 will be fine. Do you think if I installed new batteries (48v, 6 new 8 volts), new battery cables and bigger tires will get me there? I think replacing the V-guide, resistor coils and batteries will blow the budget, what do you think?
Are you saying that with my current front end suspension it will be harder to find a lift kit to fit it?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
down under
Just Don't Touch.

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST site said try again in 12 seconds so I waited 12 seconds and ended up with double posts??
OLD Mate, must be the site,you couldn't do it twice
I noticed at end of thread,that you guys have the same type of leader,our robot even said don't worry about pensioners, we don't get their vote.
down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Here is my take on this ,
If U have the nerve and the knowledge to wire the parallel series batteries and not burn or blow anything up , U probably don't really need us.

Good Start
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
wardo5757
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Here is my take on this ,
If U have the nerve and the knowledge to wire the parallel series batteries and not burn or blow anything up , U probably don't really need us.

Good Start
That’s a ridiculous statement. I know how a toaster works and the basics behind the design, but I couldn’t go in and rebuild one without screwing something up because I don’t know the verbiage and parts. I don’t like trial and error when big money is involved, that why I DO need you guys. I’m at a standstill until I can get a plan together..
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

OK Don't do anything to motor, except clean replace brushes ...etc.
The older 36 Volt motors work great running at 48 Volts.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Series motors are generally forgiving and can easily run on 30% more voltage without any improvements. If you wanted to do something for the motor I would send it to PQ for a rebuild.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car